What causes the snapping sound when a towel is snapped?

• Thread starter jeff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, The snapping sound made when a towel is snapped is caused by a small-scale sonic boom. The poster already knew the answer and was not trying to show off. They found the answer interesting and offered to share it privately. The conversation then shifted to discussing how to make a "death whip towel".
jeff
Science Advisor
What causes the snapping sound when a towel is snapped? I'm hoping that no one here has seen this before. I already know the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then why ask? Is this just some stupid way of showing off?

(And why in the world should we believe you "already know" just because you say so?)

I didn't figure out the problem, someone just told it to me along with the answer so I'm not showing off. The reason I posted this question is that the answer turns out to be very interesting. If you want, I'll private message you the answer and you can tell me if you think it's worth posting.

Last edited:
It's a small-scale sonic boom.

Originally posted by LURCH
It's a small-scale sonic boom.

Correct, as you already know. The version I heard involved a whip. I thought changing it to a towel would make it tougher. Oh well.

Okay, this thread wasn't too productuve. Anyone know who to make one of those "death whip towels"? Ouch!

1. What makes a towel snap when it is snapped?

The snapping sound when a towel is snapped is caused by the rapid release of tension in the fibers of the towel. When a towel is snapped, the fibers are stretched and then quickly released, creating a loud noise.

2. Why does the snapping sound vary in intensity?

The intensity of the snapping sound can vary depending on the material and thickness of the towel, as well as the force with which it is snapped. Thicker and denser towels will produce a louder snap compared to thinner and lighter towels.

3. Can snapping a towel cause damage to the towel?

Snapping a towel may cause some wear and tear on the fibers over time, but it is unlikely to cause significant damage. However, snapping a wet towel may cause it to lose its absorbency and become less effective at drying.

4. Do all towels make a snapping sound when snapped?

No, not all towels will make a snapping sound when snapped. The snapping sound is most commonly heard from towels made of thicker and denser materials, such as terry cloth or microfiber. Other materials, such as linen or cotton, may not produce as loud of a snap.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for the snapping sound?

Yes, the snapping sound can be explained by the principle of resonance. When the tension of the towel's fibers is released, it causes vibrations in the air particles around it, which our ears perceive as sound. This is similar to the snapping sound produced when plucking a guitar string or hitting a drum.