Powering a Railgun: Generating High Currents & Calculating Velocity

• Thread starter StickNinja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Railgun
In summary, the individual wants to make a railgun for fun but is struggling with generating a high current. They have a suitable 400F capacitor rated at 2.7V which can store 1458J of energy and run the gun for 1/29 of a second. The issue is how to generate 150A and whether it will discharge over 0 gauge wire or 20ft of wire. They ask for help understanding capacitors and mention an estimated velocity for their project. The conversation also includes a reminder to check the data sheet of the capacitor and a disclaimer about discussing dangerous activities.
StickNinja
For fun I wanted to make a railgun, but I am having trouble figuring out how to generate a high current.

I have a 400F capacitor (only one, but it is suitable for my purposes).
It is rated at 2.7V

So the amount of energy it can store is 1458J, so it should be able to run the gun for 1/29 of a second

The problem I am having, is how do I generate the 150A?
Will it just run at 150A if it is allowed to discharge over 0 gauge wire (no other resistance is involved) or will it run at about about 1.4 amps if I am using 20ft of wire (maintaining 2.7 V)?

Capacitors have always confused me in this regard, any help explaining this would be appreciated.

At 150A, estimated velocity of a .1 gram object is 62 meters a second for this poject

Engineering news on Phys.org
StickNinja
The capacitor voltage and current will decay exponentially. Start with ohm's law: if you discharge 2.7V with .018 ohms, you will start off with 150A. Both V and I will then decay with a time constant of RC = 7.2sec.

Make sure to check dataheet of the supercap, particularly its ESR and max current spec.

We do not discuss dangerous activities here. It's all in the PF Rules, which everyone agreed to when they joined.

Related to Powering a Railgun: Generating High Currents & Calculating Velocity

1. What is a railgun and how does it work?

A railgun is a type of weapon that uses electromagnetic force to accelerate a projectile to high velocities. It consists of two parallel rails, usually made of conductive material, and a conductive projectile placed between them. When a high current is passed through the rails, a magnetic field is created that propels the projectile forward.

2. How is high current generated for a railgun?

High currents for railguns are typically generated using capacitors or pulsed power systems. These systems store electrical energy and release it in short bursts, providing the high currents needed to power a railgun.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a projectile in a railgun?

The velocity of a projectile in a railgun is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the length of the rails. The current and voltage used to power the railgun also play a significant role in determining the projectile's velocity.

4. How is the velocity of a projectile in a railgun calculated?

The velocity of a projectile in a railgun can be calculated using the equation v = (I x B x L)/(m x e), where v is the velocity, I is the current, B is the magnetic field strength, L is the length of the rails, m is the mass of the projectile, and e is the charge of the projectile.

5. What are some challenges in powering a railgun and generating high currents?

One of the main challenges in powering a railgun and generating high currents is managing the extreme heat and electrical stresses that occur during operation. This can lead to issues such as rail erosion, which can affect the accuracy and lifespan of the railgun. Additionally, finding efficient and cost-effective methods for storing and releasing high amounts of energy is also a major challenge.