Conflicted Feelings: Moving On from High School

In summary, moving on from high school can be a time of conflicting emotions for many individuals. While it marks the end of a significant chapter in one's life, it also brings about the excitement and uncertainty of new beginnings. The nostalgia for the past and the fear of the future can create a sense of conflict within oneself. However, it is important to embrace these conflicting feelings and use them as motivation to grow and move forward. Whether it is pursuing higher education, starting a career, or exploring new opportunities, the process of moving on from high school is a natural and necessary part of life.
Originally posted by Andy
What dya mean, you wish? You make it sound like you've got it hard!

Well, I've never really had (more likely noticed ) girls throwing themselves at me in the way that this girl seems to be, it took a lot of effort for me to get where i am...especially cos I am lazy.

Make sure that if you are asked to study any science subjects, you stick to the subject matter...unless she asks nicely :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
She did invite me over to help her fix a computer virus or some crap.
That crap might very well be an excuse.

loll, "drop everything and walk around house" in a CLUB POTLUCK? I don't think that's possible. Her parents will be home anyways.

Anything can be an excuse to be with someone.

And so what if her parents are home anyways?

Originally posted by Monique
That crap might very well be an excuse.

I think her computer is really infected with Blaster, because she even told me what the error msg was... And I am best known as either the "Computer Genius" or the "guy that does calculation in his head" to her. Of course, I'm not saying this to show off, and of course I don't want my fellow PhysicsForums buds to think of me as an "ass", but that is what she called me with smile usually.

With that being said, I really do think her computer had a virus, even though it is a easy problem to fix...

With that being said, I really do think her computer had a virus, even though it is a easy problem to fix...

All the more reason she wouldn't ask you over to fix it unless she simply wanted you over.

well she asked you because either:

1.) You're a nerd (no offence)
2.) She trusts you to help her
3.) She wants to spend time with you

I personally think that 1.) is wrong and therefore doesn't exist (so you arent a nerd! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP! ) but 2.) and 3.) are applicable.

and another weird thing,. why does she always compare me to her father? by that she usually say things like, "u and my father are very similar, I'm sure u guys will become best friends."

and another weird thing,. why does she always compare me to her father? by that she usually say things like, "u and my father are very similar, I'm sure u guys will become best friends."
Are you kidding me? You are kidding me right? Are you making all this up?

Well, girls usually unconciously fall for guys that have the characteristics of their dad. And her saying that you and her dad could become friends says she sees you in her future life.

edit: with falling for guys that look like her dad, I mean really relation type, not the crush for jerks :)

Last edited:
*HAW HAW HAW* (eg. French persons laugh) You are een zere my Amereecan friend! She said that cos the biggest problem that fathers have is their daughters boyfriend cos they don't want you doing anything to there precious child, but if she thinks you two would get on then what more do you want!?!??!

:\ somehow I just don't feel comfortable accepting some girl's invitation to their houses to study together. not even guys.

She asked me 3 or 4 times, but I said I can't make it.

Ummm you keep denying her invitation and you wonder whether she still likes you? The answer is in your question she liked you.
Why not just ask her out, ask her home number say "Hi, Id like to take you out, listen to her response, she'll either say Yes or she'll give you an excuse.

Well, girls usually unconciously fall for guys that have the characteristics of their dad. And her saying that you and her dad could become friends says she sees you in her future life.

edit: with falling for guys that look like her dad, I mean really relation type, not the crush for jerks :)

Monique, is right she's seeing a future with you but due to your wishy-washy approach you lowered her interest level in you

I might have quoted her with a little error, but basically what I can remember was something like that. EDIT: and when she said that, at first I always thought she thought of me as a nerd or something.

but um, I don't think I look like her dad, ... or maybe she has a picture of her daddy young??

Last edited:
oh yeah, i just remembered i have been meaning to ask this, the very first reply (from Zantra) was "be thankul you don't have chroot's problem..and live with it!" lol...what's chroots problem (to be nosey)

I might have quoted her with a little error, but basically what I can remember was something like that.

but um, I don't think I look like her dad, ... or maybe she has a picture of her daddy young??

*SLAPS FOREHEAD* maybe she doesn't mean looks! Think personality, tastes other less physical things!

Originally posted by jimmy p
*SLAPS FOREHEAD* maybe she doesn't mean looks! Think personality, tastes other less physical things!

Umm, she think I'm a nerd?? b/c her father is a well known scientist, as well as a mathematician.

btw, i don't wear glasses if you ask. her daddy doesn't either though.

Ever heard of charisma?

no no no..u think she would spend so much time trying to start a relationship with you cos she thinks you are a nerd?? you are still thinking physical. Maybe you have the same sense of humour as her dad, or similar mannerisms or ANYTHING! No matter what it is (unless it is disgusting habits like nose-picking) you are in luck!

You sure you like this girl? You seem to avoid any interaction with her whatsoever... you keep worrying about whether she likes you, but if she doesn't that's all the more reason to do these things with her; so you can grow on her and convince her to like you! (Besides the immediate pleasure of spending some time with the girl you like!)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hurkyl
You sure you like this girl? You seem to avoid any interaction with her whatsoever... you keep worrying about whether she likes you, but if she doesn't that's all the more reason to do these things with her; so you can grow on her and convince her to like you!

I often question myself with the same question you have just asked me, very often, at least twice a day.

At night, I think of her, during day time, I think of her.

I just don't know what to do. But now I am trying many methods you guys taught me, and seem to make progress. Slow, but progressing.

Well don't make progress too slow or else she will lose interest/a jerk will nip in

Originally posted by jimmy p
Well don't make progress too slow or else she will lose interest/a jerk will nip in

I'm in the process of finding that out. If it's Swing, then... he's going to be sorry.

Prudens, get your head together, blow off your family, call this girl NOW and accept her invitation. She asked you out four times and you wonder if she likes you?!? She invited you to her house, possibly to her bedroom, and you said no? What are you on?

By the way, who is her father?

Originally posted by rick1138
Prudens, get your head together, blow off your family, call this girl NOW and accept her invitation. She asked you out four times and you wonder if she likes you?!? She invited you to her house, possibly to her bedroom, and you said no? What are you on?

Damn straight :smile:

By the way, who is her father?

You wouldn't know her father if you are not in his field

And, umm.. Where else would she put her computer? I think bedroom is where most girls would put it...

And... who said she asked me out 4 times? She never asked me, even though she called me many times and ask me about econ... don't know how did she got my number...

and what's so special about get invted to her bedroom?

In sales there is an expression "talking yourself out of a sale" and that occurs when someone has decided to buy something, then you turn around and convince them not to buy. Often relationships are the same.

She never asked me, even though she called me many times and ask me about econ...don't know how did she got my number...

You really don't get it, she doesn't give a damn about econ, she cares about you.

and what's so special about get invted to her bedroom?

?!

The only thing I can think of here is a quote from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"

"The problem with youth is that it is wasted on all the wrong people."

In sales there is an expression "talking yourself out of a sale" and that occurs when someone has decided to buy something, then you turn around and convince them not to buy. Often relationships are the same.

You really don't get it, she doesn't give a damn about econ, she cares about you.

?!

The only thing I can think of here is a quote from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"

"The problem with youth is that it is wasted on all the wrong people."

Hey, I think you are actually right. She doesn't give a damn about econ, but I don't know if she took econ because of me.

Hey, I think you are actually right. She doesn't give a damn about econ, but I don't know if she took econ because of me.

LOL You got to ask her out

Originally posted by The_Professional
LOL You got to ask her out

What if she refuse?

What if she refuse?

How would you know if you don't ask her out? It doesn't matter whether she says yes or no.
The point is you're the Man because you ask her.
Look at it this way, she's missing out on you, you're the greatest thing since peanut butter. Okay.

If she says No, then move on to the next girl.

To be blunt here, You must either be really stupid, or making this up. Your Girl trouble is just down to you lacking confidence, just ask her out.

What if she refuse?
You have done the same to her, how do you think she felt after you refused all her requests?

She won't say flat out: no. She will make an excuse, oh sorry, I can't make it or whatever, same as you have been doing.

Just becarefull because some excuses might be real, but she'll then try to schedule for another time.

Amazing... 15 pages...
We could've solved the mystery of Creation in 15 pages... (joke)
If this is what most of guys are becoming, then it is a sad future for us indeed... (too many cowards who panic at the idea of women)
Here is a proven solution:
BE A MAN

Last edited:
(too many cowards who panic at the idea of women)

What a sad and pathetic thing to say, you must be gay!

I often question myself with the same question you have just asked me, very often, at least twice a day.

At night, I think of her, during day time, I think of her.

I just don't know what to do. But now I am trying many methods you guys taught me, and seem to make progress. Slow, but progressing.
Maybe you think you like her, because she has been giving you attention so you think she likes you. But really you don't like her, you are just wondering if she likes you, and if she does, you like her.

What a sad and pathetic thing to say, you must be gay!
Yes, that must be it...
Truthfully, I probably pull more women then you have ever fantasized about.

How is that 'sad' and 'pathetic'? Take a good look around you. To many guys fear approaching women because: they are afraid of them, that they might get rejected, or that they don't know what to say (the list goes on and on). This is truly sad to see because picking up women is one of the most natural things for a man to do.
Instead of attacking what I say, why not make some helpful statements yourself. I thought you made a valid point:
To be blunt here, You must either be really stupid, or making this up. Your Girl trouble is just down to you lacking confidence, just ask her out.
He does lack confidence, hence, in this issue, he is displaying cowardice. But have faith, it is possible to change.

LOL at you.

There was no need for you to call him a coward.

<h2>1. What are conflicted feelings?</h2><p>Conflicted feelings refer to experiencing two or more conflicting emotions at the same time. This can often lead to confusion, uncertainty, and difficulty in making decisions.</p><h2>2. Why do high school students experience conflicted feelings when moving on?</h2><p>High school students are at a transitional stage in their lives, where they are leaving behind the familiar and entering into the unknown. This can trigger a range of emotions such as excitement, fear, sadness, and anxiety, leading to conflicted feelings.</p><h2>3. How can one cope with conflicted feelings when moving on from high school?</h2><p>It is important to acknowledge and accept your conflicted feelings. Talk to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member, about your emotions. Engage in self-care activities, such as exercise, journaling, or meditation, to help manage your emotions. Seek support from a therapist if needed.</p><h2>4. Is it normal to have conflicted feelings about leaving high school?</h2><p>Yes, it is completely normal to have conflicted feelings about leaving high school. It is a significant milestone in one's life, and it is natural to experience a range of emotions during this transition.</p><h2>5. How long do conflicted feelings about moving on from high school last?</h2><p>The duration of conflicted feelings can vary for each individual. It depends on the person's coping mechanisms, support system, and the significance of the transition. It is essential to give yourself time and be patient with your emotions.</p>

1. What are conflicted feelings?

Conflicted feelings refer to experiencing two or more conflicting emotions at the same time. This can often lead to confusion, uncertainty, and difficulty in making decisions.

2. Why do high school students experience conflicted feelings when moving on?

High school students are at a transitional stage in their lives, where they are leaving behind the familiar and entering into the unknown. This can trigger a range of emotions such as excitement, fear, sadness, and anxiety, leading to conflicted feelings.

3. How can one cope with conflicted feelings when moving on from high school?

It is important to acknowledge and accept your conflicted feelings. Talk to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member, about your emotions. Engage in self-care activities, such as exercise, journaling, or meditation, to help manage your emotions. Seek support from a therapist if needed.

4. Is it normal to have conflicted feelings about leaving high school?

Yes, it is completely normal to have conflicted feelings about leaving high school. It is a significant milestone in one's life, and it is natural to experience a range of emotions during this transition.

5. How long do conflicted feelings about moving on from high school last?

The duration of conflicted feelings can vary for each individual. It depends on the person's coping mechanisms, support system, and the significance of the transition. It is essential to give yourself time and be patient with your emotions.