Power transported down a coaxial cable

In summary: Since there is no charge enclosed in the inner cylinder, the electric field is zero. However, since there is a net charge of zero located at the Gaussian surface, the electric field between the plates is also zero. Therefore, there is no power transported down the wire.
thecommexokid

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable carries current I. The current flows down the surface of the inner cylinder (of radius a) and back along the outer cylinder (of radius b). Calculate the power transported down the wire.

Homework Equations

The Poynting vector is given by [itex]\mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{\mu_0}\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{B}[/itex]. From there I should have no trouble finishing off the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnetic field no problem with Ampère's law. It is [itex]\mathbf{B}(s) = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi s}\hat{\boldsymbol{\phi}}[/itex] for a < s < b and B(s) = 0 otherwise.

My trouble is with finding the electric field. There are two possible sources of electric fields. One is time-varying magnetic fields. But the magnetic field here is time-independent. The second is static charges. But both the inner and outer cylinder are electrically neutral overall. (Their positive charges happen to be stationary while their negative charges are in motion, but they still should have equal amounts of each.) So by my calculations, E = 0.

But that would mean no Poynting vector, and that would mean no power, and that's probably not the answer to this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the electric field by using Gauss's Law in integral form.

Yellowflash said:
You can find the electric field by using Gauss's Law in integral form.

If I could find somewhere to put my Gaussian surface such that the total enclosed charge was nonzero, I'd be very happy to.

In Griffiths, you are given a diagram, right? It would be easier if I can refer to one.

Oh, is this problem in Griffiths? Do you by chance know where in the book?

A Gaussian surface outside the cable will enclose a net charge of zero, and hence no electric field. Inside the inner cylinder, no charge will be enclosed, so no electric field there either. Can you see what to do now?

But a Gaussian surface enclosing only the inner cylinder but not the outer cylinder encloses a net charge of zero too. The electrons are all moving and the protons are all stationary, but there are still an equal number of both. That was my point in the original post.

There will be a potential difference V between the inner and outer conductors in order to make the current flow. This potential difference would be supplied by some external source. So, there will be an electric field between the conductors due to surface charges on the conductors. I'm not exactly sure what the question is asking. Maybe you are meant to express the electric field in terms of V and then show that the power calculated using the Poynting vector equals the usual expression IV.

Likes 1 person
This is probably not an introductory physics problem, by the way.

I found a diagram, but I can't get the image to show, so go here: http://tinypic.com/r/2lw7zsx/8
We only need to worry about the region between r = a and r = b as before so we’ll use the Gaussian surface defined in that diagram. Now, find the electric field between the plates.

Last edited:

Related to Power transported down a coaxial cable

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that is commonly used for transmitting high frequency signals. It consists of an inner conductor, surrounded by an insulating layer, which is then covered by an outer conductor and a protective jacket.

2. How does power travel down a coaxial cable?

Power is transported down a coaxial cable through the movement of electrons. The inner conductor carries the electrical signal, while the outer conductor acts as a shield, preventing interference. The insulating layer between the two conductors helps to maintain the integrity of the signal.

3. What factors affect the power transmission in a coaxial cable?

The power transmission in a coaxial cable can be affected by various factors such as the quality and thickness of the conductors, the type and thickness of the insulating material, the frequency of the signal, and the length of the cable. Any damage or defects in the cable can also impact the power transmission.

4. Is power loss a concern in coaxial cable?

Yes, power loss can occur in coaxial cables due to factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These factors can cause the signal to weaken as it travels through the cable, resulting in some power loss. However, the use of high-quality materials and proper installation can minimize power loss.

5. What are the advantages of using coaxial cable for power transmission?

Coaxial cables are ideal for power transmission because they have high bandwidth capabilities, low signal loss, and are less susceptible to interference. They are also relatively easy to install and can transmit power over longer distances compared to other types of cables.