Power Transmission with Friction Coefficient: 0.25 to 0.2

In summary, the power is the same with a smaller or larger small wheel, but the angle of the belt at the wheel has to be calculated in order to get the same power.
StevenBennett
1. Homework Statement

After a certain amount of running, there is likely to be changes in the values of the engineering parameters of the system in section (a). One of these is the friction coefficient, Carry out the activity with calculations to find out the effect on power transmission if the friction coefficient reduces to 0.2 from 0.25: how can the original maximum power value be restored?

Ive worked out the power for both 0.25 and 0.2

The power is the same but i had to change F1 to 1165N, but the maximum tension is the belt can only exceed 1000N how could i get the same powers? would i have to use a belt tension device?

1a - has the calculations for working out 0.25 as the coefficient and the original question
1c - has me working out for 0.2 as the coefficient, also shows how to gain the same power with 1165N as F1

Attachments

• 1a.docx
    21.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 1c.docx
    18.8 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
StevenBennett said:
The power is the same but i had to change F1 to 1165N, but the maximum tension is the belt can only exceed 1000N how could i get the same powers? would i have to use a belt tension device?
I haven't seen a sketch of the system, but anyway here is a suggestion:
upload_2015-6-17_22-30-35.jpeg

The purpose is not to increase the tension, but to increase the angle wherein the belt is in connection with the wheel.

There is this "Eulers formula" to calculate at which torque the belt will slide.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-17_22-25-40.jpeg
    upload_2015-6-17_22-25-40.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 526
Likes StevenBennett
The image shows the system...

Small Diameter: 150mm
Large Diameter: 200mm
Apart Length: 600mm

and were working with the large pulley angle when calculating power

how will i know the angle of were the wheel will have to be?

so i guess this will be changing (v) which is 3.14? or the lap angle of the large pulley which is 3.225 Radians?

and will it just be trail and error?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 454
StevenBennett said:
how will i know the angle of were the wheel will have to be?
Say you have calculated the angles θ1 and θ2:
upload_2015-6-17_23-10-55.jpeg

You just draw the tangents ( stipled lines ) and place the small wheel as shown.

StevenBennett said:
and will it just be trail and error?
No, it should be possible to calculate θ1 and θ2. I'm not sure about the name of the law to be used ( I'm not a mechanical engineer ), but there is a law by which max torque can be calculated as a function of tension, angle and friction coefficient.

Hesch said:
No, it should be possible to calculate θ1 and θ2. I'm not sure about the name of the law to be used ( I'm not a mechanical engineer ), but there is a law by which max torque can be calculated as a function of tension, angle and friction coefficient.

So once I've found the angles, i just sub them in when working out the lap angles? for example:

Large Pulley Lap Angle

θ = θ2 + 2B =

instead of using 180? or?

StevenBennett said:
θ = θ2 + 2B

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. What is θ ?

The lap angle as for the large pulley is θ2, shown in the figure in #4.

Hesch said:
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. What is θ ?

The lap angle as for the large pulley is θ2, shown in the figure in #4.

Dont worry but cheers for the help, i fully understand how to work out this question now so cheers for that!

Maybe you should make the small wheel larger than drawn by me, otherwise your teacher will get angry with you, because you are bending the belt too much.:smile:

Related to Power Transmission with Friction Coefficient: 0.25 to 0.2

1. What is power transmission with friction coefficient?

Power transmission with friction coefficient is the process of transferring power from one object to another through the use of friction. This involves the contact between two surfaces, where one surface is moving while the other is stationary.

2. What is the significance of a friction coefficient of 0.25 to 0.2 in power transmission?

The friction coefficient of 0.25 to 0.2 is a measure of the amount of friction present between two surfaces in contact. In power transmission, a lower friction coefficient means less resistance and therefore more efficient transfer of power.

3. How is the friction coefficient determined in power transmission?

The friction coefficient is determined by conducting experiments to measure the force required to keep two surfaces in contact while one is moving. The ratio of this force to the normal force between the surfaces gives the friction coefficient.

4. Can the friction coefficient be changed in power transmission?

Yes, the friction coefficient can be changed by altering the surface properties of the objects in contact. For example, using lubricants can reduce the friction coefficient, while using rough surfaces can increase it.

5. What are the factors that affect the friction coefficient in power transmission?

The friction coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the applied force, the speed of movement, and the presence of lubricants or contaminants. Temperature and surface roughness also play a role in determining the friction coefficient.