Power set (set theory) question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power set and its number of elements, which is 2^n where n is the number of elements in the original set. The conversation also mentions the use of Pascal's triangle and the Binomial Theorem to prove this equation. It is also mentioned that the number of elements in a power set can be proven by induction.
Taturana
I'm reading a book about set theory and it introduced the concept of power set. Ok, I understand what is a power set and the entire concept but I have a question about the number of elements of a power set.

There's written in the book that the number of elements of a power set is 2n where n is the number of elements of set that power set is of (very bad english, sorry). For example:

A = {1; 2; 3}

2A = {A; {1;2}; {1;3}; {2;3}; {1}; {2}; {3}; {null set}}

n(2A) = 2n(A) = 23 = 8

Using the concept of Pascal triangle we have the 2n expression comes from:

8910d5b9c8f59852ed8b0cd9ab12ed51.png

But I don't understand how can I manage this equation (before the "= 2n") to it be equals 2n

I would be grateful if someone help me...

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that

[tex]
(a+b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n C^n_k a^kb^{n-k}
[/tex]

(Binomial Theorem}

Set a = b = 1; then

[tex]
(1+1)^n = 2^n = \sum_{k=0}^n C^n_k 1^k 1^{n-k} = C^n_0 + \dots + C^n_n
[/tex]

Thank you very much statdad for reply, you helped me alot.

One can also prove that the power set of a set with n elements has 2n elements by induction.

The empty set, with 0 elements, has 1 subset, itself. 20= 1.

Induction hypothesis: assume that, for some k, a set containing k elements has 2k[/k] subsets.

Let X be a set containing k+ 1 elements. Select one of the elements (which we can do- k+1> 0) and call it "a". All subsets of X are of two kinds, those that contain a and those that don't. Subsets of X that do not contain a are exactly the subsets of X- {a} which has k+1-1= k elements so there are 2k such subsets. Subsets of X that contain a can be written [itex]\left{a\right}\cup U[/itex] where U is now a subset of X that does not contain a. And, as above, there are 2k such subsets. Thus there are 2k+ 2k= 2(2k)= 2k+1[/sub] subsets of X.

Related to Power set (set theory) question

What is a power set in set theory?

A power set is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all possible subsets of a given set. In other words, it is the collection of all the subsets that can be formed from the elements of a set.

How is a power set represented?

A power set is typically denoted by the notation P(S), where S is the original set. For example, if the set S = {1,2,3}, then the power set P(S) = { {}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {2,3}, {1,2,3} }.

What is the cardinality of a power set?

The cardinality, or size, of a power set is equal to 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. In the example above, the set S has 3 elements, so the power set P(S) has 2^3 = 8 elements.

What is the significance of the power set in set theory?

The power set is an important concept in set theory because it allows us to explore and understand the structure and properties of sets in a more detailed and systematic way. It is also used in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, combinatorics, and topology.

What is the relationship between a set and its power set?

The power set of a set S always contains the original set S as well as the empty set {}. Additionally, the power set contains all the possible subsets of S, including the set itself and the empty set. This means that the power set is always larger than the original set, and the number of elements in the power set is always greater than or equal to the number of elements in the original set.