Power Series Expansion about Point

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power series expansion for complex numbers in the context of complex analysis. The question is about expanding a function about a specific point and the general formula for doing so. The response clarifies that for analytic functions, the same form of the series expansion can be used for complex variables, with both the point of expansion and the variable being able to be complex numbers.
curtdbz
So this is a REALLY elementary question but I can't seem to find the answer on the net, or maybe I did but just keep skipping over it some how. (by the way, this is with respect to complex numbers [tex]z \in C[/tex] which is used in Complex Analysis, thus why I chose this forum). I know what it means when someone gives a function and says "Expand into a power series about [tex]z[/tex]", but what does it mean when they say to expand about, say, [tex]z = 4 + i[/tex] for a function like [tex](e^{z} - 1)^{-1}[/tex].

I don't need to know the answer, just the general formula for something like that. Again, elementary I know. Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a regular power series expansion, when you expand the function f(x) about a point a, you get the expansion

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n.[/tex]
(when it exists and all that jazz).

If f is a function of a complex variable z, then for analytic functions you get the same form of the series expansion,

[tex]f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(z-a)^n.[/tex]
where both z and a may be complex numbers. In your example, a = 4-i and f(z) = 1/(exp(z)-1).

Related to Power Series Expansion about Point

1. What is a power series expansion about a point?

A power series expansion about a point is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial function of the variable multiplied by a constant raised to a power. The point about which the series is expanded is typically the center of the series and is denoted as "a".

2. How is a power series expansion about a point calculated?

To calculate a power series expansion about a point, we start by finding the derivatives of the function at the point "a". These derivatives are then evaluated at the point "a" and used to construct the terms of the power series. The series is expanded until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the purpose of a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is used to approximate a function, especially in cases where the function is difficult to evaluate directly. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler polynomial functions, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving the function.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a power series expansion about any point "a", while a Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series where the point "a" is 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a power series expansion about the origin. Both types of series are used for approximating functions, but the Maclaurin series is particularly useful for functions with a simple form.

5. What are some applications of power series expansions?

Power series expansions have many applications in mathematics, engineering, and science. They are used in calculus to find the values of functions, in physics to model physical phenomena, and in statistics to analyze data. They are also used in computer science for numerical analysis and in finance for calculating interest rates and investment returns.