Power rules for radical roots and rational exponents.

In summary, the main point of the conversation is about the rules and definitions involving fractional powers, specifically the expression (x^a)^b = x^{(a\ b)}. The conversation discusses how this rule may not always hold true in certain situations, and how it is important to understand the limitations and potential errors when blindly following calculational rules. Additionally, this rule can be seen as an attempt to describe properties of complex numbers without explicitly mentioning them.
Zalajbeg
Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about definitions rules. I can have more questions but for now I want to ask only one question:

Let us say I have a number: [itex]\sqrt[6]{3x3x3x3x3x3}[/itex]

3x3x3x3x3x3 is equal to both 27^2 and (-27)^2. But If I write these two expressions separately I can get different results:

[itex]\sqrt[6]{27^2}[/itex]=27^(2/6)=27^(1/3)=3
[itex]\sqrt[6]{(-27)^2}[/itex]=(-27)^(2/6)=(-27^1/3)=-3

I know the true answer is 3 but I wonder which step is accepted wrong and why? Is there a definition avoiding me doing one of the wrong steps I did?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The square root of real number x≥0 is defined to be the positive number y such that y2=x . In other words, [itex]\sqrt{x^{2}}=\left|x\right|[/itex] . This also holds for any n:th root where n is an even number.

hilbert2 said:
The square root of real number x≥0 is defined to be the positive number y such that y2=x . In other words, [itex]\sqrt{x^{2}}=\left|x\right|[/itex] . This also holds for any n:th root where n is an even number.

Yes I can see that. If I was solving directly the expression [itex]\sqrt[6]{(-27)^2}[/itex] it would make sense. But I write it as (-27)^(2/6)=(-27)^(1/3)=-3.

This time [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/itex] rule definition is not applied. What avoids me doing the operations above?

You are taking a square root in that calculation. You are just "hiding" it behind an unusual way to write it. Just following some calculational rules blindly without thinking what one is doing often leads to errors.

hilbert2 said:
You are taking a square root in that calculation. You are just "hiding" it behind an unusual way to write it. Just following some calculational rules blindly without thinking what one is doing often leads to errors.

I agree with this. However I want to see some extended definitions for these some calculational rules. If it is a rule I can surely follow them blindly unless there are limitations. I want to see these limitations.

Every time you use the rule [itex](x^{a})^{b}=x^{ab}[/itex] and b is the inverse of an even number, it has to actually be [itex](x^{a})^{b}=\left|x\right|^{ab}[/itex]

Zalajbeg said:
I agree with this. However I want to see some extended definitions for these some calculational rules. If it is a rule I can surely follow them blindly unless there are limitations. I want to see these limitations.

That's a good question and I've never seen an attempt to describe all the situations where
the "law" [itex] (x^a)^b = x^{(a\ b)} [/itex].is correct for real numbers. It works when [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] b [/itex] are both integers. In other situations - "you takes your chances".

Example: [itex] x = -1, a = 4/3, b = 3/4 [/itex]

[itex] {(x^a)}^b = ((-1)^{(\frac{4}{3})})^{(3/4)}= [/itex][itex]{( \sqrt[3]{-1})}^4)^{3/4} [/itex] [itex]= ((-1)^4)^{3/4} = (1)^{3/4} = 1 [/itex]

[itex] x^{(a\ b)} = (-1)^1 = -1 [/itex]

"Laws" for fractional powers in the real number system can be viewed as awkward attempts to write about the properties of the complex numbers without mentioning complex numbers. In the complex number system, a number has two square roots, three cube roots, five fifth roots, etc. This is basically because the number 1 has this property ( See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_unity). Hence, if you have an expression with a fractional exponent somewhere in it, it isn't surprising that you can evaluate it in more than one way because the notation doesn't stand for a unique number.

Related to Power rules for radical roots and rational exponents.

1. What are power rules for radical roots and rational exponents?

The power rules for radical roots and rational exponents involve simplifying and manipulating expressions with radicals and exponents. These rules include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and negative exponent rule.

2. How do you simplify expressions with radical roots?

To simplify an expression with radical roots, you can use the product rule to multiply the coefficients and add the exponents of like radicals. If there are any fractions within the radicals, you can use the quotient rule to simplify them. Finally, you can use the power rule to simplify expressions with rational exponents.

3. Can you provide an example of using power rules for radical roots and rational exponents?

Yes, for example, if we have the expression 3√(8x^2) we can use the product rule to simplify it to 2√(2x^2) and then use the power rule to simplify it further to 2x√2.

4. How do you apply power rules for radical roots and rational exponents to solve equations?

To solve equations with radical roots and rational exponents, you can use the power rule to rewrite the equation in a simplified form. Then, you can use traditional algebraic methods such as isolating the variable and inverse operations to solve for the variable.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when using power rules for radical roots and rational exponents?

Yes, when using the power rule for rational exponents, you must consider the cases of a negative exponent, a zero exponent, and a fraction exponent. You must also be careful to simplify all radicals and exponents before applying the power rule.