Power required to drive the compressor

In summary: The power required to drive the compressor and deliver the 15000 lb of thrust is 15000lb*9.81*3.14=472.4 kW. The power required to deliver the 15000 lb of thrust is 15000lb*9.81*3.14*1.7=5206.4 kW.
vincentryan
hi
in jet engine power generated for two purpose
one is to drive the turbine, compressor and other accosseries
Second is for the forward jet thrust
take an example
A engine generates 15000 lb thrsut.
how to calculate the following power and mass flow
how much amount of power required to drive the compressor and to deliver the 15000 lb of thrust. how much amount air and fuel required to deliver 15000 lb thrust

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a simply plug-and-chug calculation. You have tons of viscous losses that will make it extremely nasty to solve.

Jet engines operate on the Brayton cylce, which is the ideal cycle for gas-turbine engines. Actual gas-turbines are complex and involve intercooling, reheating, and regeneration. However, assuming the simple Brayton cycle is what you are asking about, first you need to determine the back-work ratio. The back-work ratio is the amount of power that the compressor will consume. That is calculated from the enthalpy difference between inlet and outlet of the compressor divided by the difference in enthaply between the inlet and outlet of the turbine.

Before I go any further, do you have the inlet and outlet temperatures and the inlet and outlet pressures?

Forgive me if it seems that I a taking the long way to the answer, but this is how I know to calculate the power output of a gas-turbine.

Thanks
Matt

Given solely the amount of thrust it is impossible to calculate the compressor requirements as well as mass flow. There are certain things that must be known and mass flow into the engine is one of them. If you look at any book on aerothermodynamics you will find the equations of stages in an engine and how to calculate them. Essentially you start at the front and work your way to the back. To really calculate the power required for a compressor you need to know what are called velocity triangles that will allow you to calculate the torque required for each stage. From that and the speed you can then calculate the power required.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jet_Propulsion/Aerodynamics
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Jet_engine_performance
http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node28.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, that was why I stopped short on my post. Didn't want to keep going with the basic way to get a ball park number for the power if no more information was available.

Good links.

Thanks
Matt

Related to Power required to drive the compressor

1. What is the power required to drive a compressor?

The power required to drive a compressor is the amount of energy needed to operate the compressor and is typically measured in units of horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW).

2. How is the power required to drive a compressor calculated?

The power required to drive a compressor is calculated by multiplying the compressor's flow rate (measured in cubic feet per minute or CFM) by its pressure ratio (ratio of outlet pressure to inlet pressure) and dividing by the compressor efficiency.

3. What factors affect the power required to drive a compressor?

The power required to drive a compressor is affected by several factors, including the type of compressor, the size and speed of the compressor, the operating temperature and pressure, and the type of gas being compressed.

4. How can the power required to drive a compressor be reduced?

The power required to drive a compressor can be reduced by optimizing the compressor's operating conditions, using a more efficient compressor design, and implementing energy-saving technologies such as variable speed drives and heat recovery systems.

5. What is the relationship between power and efficiency in a compressor?

Generally, the higher the power required to drive a compressor, the less efficient the compressor is. This is because a more efficient compressor requires less energy to produce the same amount of compressed air. However, other factors such as maintenance and proper operation also play a role in a compressor's efficiency.