Power Radiation Ratio of Venus and Earth

In summary, the ratio of power radiated per unit area on Earth to that on Venus is 1/16, calculated by \frac{\sigma A(300)^4}{\sigma A(600)^4}. This is possible because power per unit area is the same for both planets as long as there are no losses, and the question is asking for the ratio of this value.
rnjscksdyd

Homework Statement

Venus and Earth may be regarded as behaving as black bodies. The mean temperature at the surface of Venus is about 600K and at the surface of Earth is about 300K. Which of the following is the best estimate for the ratio
[tex]\frac{power.radiated.per.unit.area.on.Earth}{power.radiated.per.unit.area.on.Venus}[/tex]

(A) 1/2
(B) 1/4
(C) 1/8
(D) 1/16

I had to put dots in between words.. It won't let me space them

Homework Equations

[tex]σAT^4[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Venus: [tex]σAT^4 = σA(600)^4[/tex]
Earth: [tex]σAT^4 = σA(300)^4[/tex]

The actual answer is (D)
and I got this by
[tex]\frac{σA(300)^4}{σA(600)^4}=1/16[/tex]

If the above working is right, I want to know where 'A' or 'Area' disappeared to. I thought Area of Earth and Venus are different so they can't cancel out? Or is power radiated always referring to the unit surface area, or 1m^2 ?

p.s. sorry for asking too many questions, my exam is next week :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rnjscksdyd said:

Homework Statement

Venus and Earth may be regarded as behaving as black bodies. The mean temperature at the surface of Venus is about 600K and at the surface of Earth is about 300K. Which of the following is the best estimate for the ratio
[tex]\frac{power.radiated.per.unit.area.on.Earth}{power.radiated.per.unit.area.on.Venus}[/tex]

(A) 1/2
(B) 1/4
(C) 1/8
(D) 1/16

I had to put dots in between words.. It won't let me space them
Here is how to do it:
[tex]\frac{\text{power radiated per unit area on Earth}}{\text{power radiated per unit area on Venus}}[/tex]
\frac{\text{power radiated per unit area on Earth}}{\text{power radiated per unit area on Venus}}

Although it looks kind of ugly here.

Homework Equations

[tex]σAT^4[/tex]

If the above working is right, I want to know where 'A' or 'Area' disappeared to. I thought Area of Earth and Venus are different so they can't cancel out? Or is power radiated always referring to the unit surface area, or 1m^2 ?
Assuming there are no losses, as is presumably the case in this problem, you can calculate or measure the flux through any closed surface, so you can pick the same surface for both Venus and Earth. Note that the question asks not for the total power, but the power per unit area, which is just [itex]\sigma T^4[/itex] in both cases.

Likes 1 person
tms said:
Here is how to do it:
[tex]\frac{\text{power radiated per unit area on Earth}}{\text{power radiated per unit area on Venus}}[/tex]
\frac{\text{power radiated per unit area on Earth}}{\text{power radiated per unit area on Venus}}

Although it looks kind of ugly here.

Assuming there are no losses, as is presumably the case in this problem, you can calculate or measure the flux through any closed surface, so you can pick the same surface for both Venus and Earth. Note that the question asks not for the total power, but the power per unit area, which is just [itex]\sigma T^4[/itex] in both cases.

I get it now! :D thank you so much ;D

Related to Power Radiation Ratio of Venus and Earth

What is power radiation of a planet?

The power radiation of a planet is the amount of energy that a planet emits into space in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

How is the power radiation of a planet measured?

The power radiation of a planet is measured by using instruments such as satellites and telescopes that can detect the amount and type of radiation being emitted by the planet.

What factors affect the power radiation of a planet?

The power radiation of a planet is affected by factors such as the planet's size, distance from its star, composition, and atmosphere. These factors can influence the amount and type of radiation that a planet emits.

Why is understanding power radiation important?

Understanding power radiation is important because it helps us understand the energy balance of a planet and its atmosphere. This can provide valuable insights into the planet's climate, weather patterns, and potential for supporting life.

How does the power radiation of a planet impact its habitability?

The power radiation of a planet can significantly impact its habitability. For example, if a planet receives too much or too little radiation, it may be too hot or too cold for life to exist. Additionally, the type of radiation emitted by a planet can also affect its potential to support life.