Power produced by the Wind Farm

In summary, the conversation discusses two design proposals for a wind park that have been made, with one using 10 turbines and the other using 20 turbines. The power produced for each design is calculated and the recommendation is made to choose the second design. For the second part, the Coefficient of Performance of the turbines is determined using the maximum power output. However, it is noted that the calculations may not be accurate without knowing the wind speed and air density.
snowboarder82
Hi all,
I'm studying for my and I've been trying to do one of the past exams from the University of Auckland. Unfortunately I'm not so clever so I'm asking for some help

Two design proposals for a wind park have been made. The first design uses 10 turbines, each with a height of 90m and a blade radius of 45m . The second design is comprised of 20 turbines, each of which has a height of 50m and blade radius of 30m. Assume that both designs use turbines that are optimized to the Betz Limit and that all complex effects are ignored.

a)
calculate the power produced for each design and recommend which design you should choose.

b)
Assume that the second design been chooses and that it has a 25MW maximum power output. What is the Coefficient of Performance of the turbines?

So what i think is that
Area A = Db where D is the diameter and b is the blade radius. But how can i calculate anything without velocity and air density?

For the part b) i think i need to do 25MW x 0.6

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems impossible with the problem as given. You can't calculate the power without the wind speed. It's possible you might give the answer as (a constant) * v^3, but there's no way to choose a design without knowing how expensive those windmills are.
Wind speed will depend on height, but that's probably a "complex effect" you should ignore.

For part b you also have to know the windspeed, so you can calculate the shaft power from the wind spped using the Betz limit, and the coefficient of performance of the turbine will be (electrical power)/(shaft power)

You can probably look up air density.

Wind speed will depend on height, but that's probably a "complex effect" you should ignore.

not so see wikipedia: Wind farm

Related to Power produced by the Wind Farm

1. What is the purpose of a wind farm?

A wind farm is a group of wind turbines that are used to generate electricity from the wind. Its purpose is to produce renewable energy that can be used to power homes and businesses.

2. How does a wind farm produce power?

The wind causes the turbine blades to rotate, which then turns a generator to produce electricity. This electricity is then transmitted through power lines to homes and businesses.

3. What are the benefits of using wind power from a wind farm?

Wind power is a clean and renewable energy source, meaning it does not emit harmful pollutants or contribute to climate change. It also reduces our reliance on fossil fuels and helps to diversify our energy sources.

4. What factors affect the power produced by a wind farm?

The power produced by a wind farm can be affected by several factors, including wind speed, the size and number of turbines, and the location of the wind farm. Turbines located in areas with consistent and strong winds will produce more power.

5. How is the power from a wind farm delivered to consumers?

The electricity generated by a wind farm is sent to a substation, where it is converted to a higher voltage and then transmitted through power lines to homes and businesses. From there, it is distributed to individual consumers through the local electric grid.