Power produced by a rotation disk

In summary, to calculate the power produced by a rotating disc, you will need the constant angular velocity, diameter of the disc, and mass. Using the formula P = Tω, where T is the torque producing the rotation, you can also find the torque by using T = Iα, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration. If you have additional parameters such as time or energy, you can also use them to determine the power output.
kenshin6249
how do i calculate the power produced by a rotating disc?

for example given that the constant angular velocity is 30rad/s, diameter of disc is 0.5m, mass is 15kg.

or do u need more data to calculate the power? if yes, what data do u need?

Physics news on Phys.org
The power generated is Fv, in rotational terms, it turns out as Tω where 'T' is the torque producing the rotation.

You can further get the 'T' by using T=Iα where 'I' is the moment of inertia of the disc about the center of rotation and 'α' is the angular acceleration.

What other parameters do you have to work with?

rock.freak667 said:
The power generated is Fv, in rotational terms, it turns out as Tω where 'T' is the torque producing the rotation.

You can further get the 'T' by using T=Iα where 'I' is the moment of inertia of the disc about the center of rotation and 'α' is the angular acceleration.

What other parameters do you have to work with?

how do i calculate angular acceleration from the given data?
with constant angular velocity do it have angular acceleration?

Do you have the time it took for the disc to reach 30 rad/s?

nop it is just spinning at that speed from the start to the end.

I am not sure you can get the power just with the angular velocity and the moment of inertia. You can find the rotational energy produced using E=0.5Iω2 though.

yes that one i know.

is something similar to finding the power output of a turbine connected to a shaft onto a flywheel. the flywheel is spining in constant angular velocity by connecting it to a generator or a dynamo to producing a power output.

i need to find the power generated before entering the dynamo or without a dynamo.

Well the most you can get given your information is the kinetic energy (J) and not the power (W).

how about this case?

with the fluid pushing the shaft to turn there is an energy = 0.5mv2 = E1.
the power of the fluid = [tex]\rho[/tex]*g*h*Q = P1

with the rotating shaft energy = 0.5Iω2 = E2

with 2 differnt energy we can determine the efficiency.

efficiency = [tex]\frac{E2}{E1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{P2}{P1}[/tex]

from here we determine the P2.
is it correct?

Last edited:
Yes that should work as well.

Related to Power produced by a rotation disk

1. How is power produced by a rotation disk?

The power produced by a rotation disk is a result of the rotational motion of the disk. As the disk rotates, it creates a torque or turning force which is transferred to a shaft connected to the disk. This rotational motion of the shaft can then be used to power a variety of devices such as generators, motors, or turbines.

2. What factors affect the power produced by a rotation disk?

The power produced by a rotation disk is influenced by several factors including the mass of the disk, the speed of rotation, the diameter of the disk, and the force applied to the disk. Additionally, the type and quality of the materials used to make the disk can also impact the power produced.

3. How is the power output of a rotation disk measured?

The power output of a rotation disk is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). This can be calculated by multiplying the torque (measured in newton-meters or Nm) by the angular velocity (measured in radians per second or rad/s) of the disk.

4. Can the power produced by a rotation disk be increased?

Yes, the power produced by a rotation disk can be increased by increasing the speed of rotation, increasing the force applied to the disk, or increasing the diameter of the disk. Additionally, using more efficient materials and design can also increase the power output.

5. What are some practical applications of the power produced by a rotation disk?

The power produced by a rotation disk has many practical applications. It can be used to generate electricity in generators, power vehicles in engines, and drive machinery in industrial processes. It is also used in wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and other renewable energy systems to produce clean electricity.