I should know this, but i dont.

• Thread starter MasterKung
  • Start date
In summary, collisions were discussed, specifically the collision of two bumper cars at an amusement park. The law of conservation of momentum was used to determine the velocity of the first car after the collision, which was found to be 0.3m/s. The conversation then shifted to finding the momentum of a ball thrown straight up in the air. The momentum at its maximum height was determined to be zero, and the height of the ball at that point was found to be 11.5m. The energy conservation method was used to find the momentum at the halfway point, resulting in a value of 1.06(kg)(m/s).
MasterKung
collisions

I have another question but i didnt want to create two consecutive threads so I am going to edit this one.

A bumper car at an amusement park ride traveling at .8m/s colides with an identical car at rest. This second car moves away with a speed of .5m/s What is the velocity of the first car after the collision.

so do i just use the law of conservation of momentum and disregard mass since they are all the same. if i do it that way i get .3m/s is that right?

Done with this-->{a .1 kg ball is thrown straight up into the air with an initial speed of 15m/s. Find the momentum of the ball (a) at its maximum height, and (b) halfway up to its maximum height.

The question I am wondering is, at its maximum height is the velocity zero, since its going straight up, it eventually stops then goes down right, so would the final velocity be zero, or do i need to find the height then find the velocity. Its asking for the momentum at the maximum height, but at its maximum height it will have stopped making the momentum zero right? i think my question is a bit redundant, gets the point across though.
Ive missed a few days at school and this momentum thing is new to me and I am lost.
thanks}--Done with this, hope i did it right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct about the momentum at the top of its path: since speed is zero, momentum is zero as well.

Now find the height of the ball at that point.

Or, if you'd like to use energy methods: ask yourself what happens to the KE when the ball reaches the half-way point?

i used the conservation of energy to find the height to be 11.5 then using one of the big four (final velocity equals the square root of the inital velocity squared plus two times acceleration times distance, distance being the height, acceleration was gravity) i said the final velocity was .63 meters per second, so the momentum would be .06 it would have been easier to just call it zero, but i had extra time.
to find the second part i used KEi=PEf+KEf (there was no initial potential energy) in other words the conservation of energy, but i used the height 5.75 (half of the maximum) and came out with a final velocity of 10.6m/s that multiplied by the mass (.1) gave me a momentum of 1.06(kg)(m/s)

sorry for the ugly way i wrote the equations, i thought it would be a time saver for now to type them out instead of learning the script. but those are my answers, hope theyre right.

oh, and thanks for your help.

What does "I should know this, but I dont" mean?

It means that the person believes they should have knowledge or understanding about a certain topic or concept, but for some reason, they do not.

Why do people say "I should know this, but I dont"?

People often say this phrase when they feel embarrassed or disappointed in themselves for not having the expected knowledge or understanding about something.

What should I do if I feel like "I should know this, but I dont"?

If you feel like you should know something but you don't, it's important to not be too hard on yourself. Instead, try to find resources or seek help to learn and understand the topic better.

Is it normal to feel like "I should know this, but I dont"?

Yes, it is normal to feel this way. We all have different levels of knowledge and understanding, and it's okay to not know everything. It's important to keep learning and growing.

How can I stop feeling like "I should know this, but I dont"?

One way to stop feeling this way is to change your mindset and focus on learning and improving instead of feeling embarrassed or disappointed. Also, try to be patient with yourself and don't compare your knowledge to others.