What Happens When You Put a Phone Near a Computer Screen?

• Thread starter billy_boy_999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses experimenting with a portable phone or electric guitar near a computer screen and the resulting electric shadowy effect caused by magnets. It is mentioned that this could potentially harm the monitor and that the "degauss" feature can help correct any damage. It is also noted that some monitors have an automatic degauss feature.
billy_boy_999
have you ever taken a portable phone (i have a hunch that a mobile would work too) and (when it's not on or anything) ran the ear-end (the end with the antenna) across your computer screen? it makes a weird sort of electric shadowy thing...what's happening? :confused:

[i should mention that this is a normal, old-fashioned screen - not a flatscreen lcd]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but it sounds to me like magnets in the phone are deflecting the paths of the electrons (remember a basic monitor (not a LCD one) is basically a cathode ray gun behind a luminescent screen

magnets - right, i tested this by waving my electric guitar's pickups in front of the screen - you're absolutely right...i wonder if this is bad for my monitor... :rolleyes:

billy_boy_999 said:
magnets - right, i tested this by waving my electric guitar's pickups in front of the screen - you're absolutely right...i wonder if this is bad for my monitor... :rolleyes:

I think it most certainly is. I tried similar experimentation with a color TV, and I messed the picture up but good! When I got my computer monitor, I noticed that it had a "degauss" feature. If your monitor has this in the main menu, you might be able to fix any harm you could do, but I've never had the nerve to test that hypothesis.

Honestly, I just like to play witht the DeGauss button every once in a while because it looks nifty. Is that bad? (For the monitor, that is)

Keep loudspeaker magnets away from monitors, and TV's especially. I believe the resulting concentrated flux of electrons can burn out phosphors.

The degauss feauture will not harm your monitor, and in fact helps correct occasional problems of this nature. Just did it myself right now, and my text looks a little clearer I must say. I suppose one would not want to do it 12 times a day, though. Once or twice a month should be just fine.

I also have heard that some monitors automatically degauss themselves whenever thay are turned on.

1. Can a phone near a computer screen cause interference?

Yes, a phone near a computer screen can cause interference. The radio frequencies emitted by the phone can disrupt the electromagnetic field of the computer screen, leading to distorted images or flickering.

2. Is it safe to put my phone near my computer screen?

It is generally safe to put your phone near your computer screen. However, as mentioned earlier, it can cause interference and it is recommended to keep a distance of at least 6 inches between the two devices.

3. Will placing my phone near my computer screen damage either device?

No, placing your phone near your computer screen will not damage either device. However, it is still recommended to keep a safe distance to avoid any potential interference.

4. Can a phone near a computer screen affect the performance of my computer?

Yes, a phone near a computer screen can affect the performance of your computer. If the interference is significant, it can cause your computer to slow down or freeze. It is important to maintain a safe distance between the two devices to avoid this issue.

5. How far should I keep my phone away from my computer screen?

It is recommended to keep your phone at least 6 inches away from your computer screen to avoid interference. However, this distance may vary depending on the strength of the phone's radio frequencies and the sensitivity of the computer screen's electromagnetic field. It is best to experiment and find a distance that works best for your specific devices.