Power of Boat: Exploring R vs F

In summary, the boat moving at a constant speed experiences a total frictional drag of F, and the power developed by the boat is equal to Fv. Option a is incorrect because it suggests that the boat only needs to apply half of the force of drag to maintain a constant speed, which is not accurate. The boat must apply a force equal to the frictional drag in order to maintain its speed.
Faiq

Homework Statement

A boat moving at constant speed v through still water experiences a total frictional drag F.
What is the power developed by the boat?
a) 1/2Fv b) Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the correct answer is b. My confusion is why is a incorrect?
My reasoning: The boat experiences a total drag of F. Which means at every point the boat experiences a resistance where R < F. Thus to steer at v, we have to apply a force of R. Which will provide the only option 1/2Fv.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly happens at every point between the boat and the water is a big story of fluid dynamics I doubt we want to discuss for this specific problem. There will be an infinitesimal force ##dF_i## at every point and the sum(more accurately the integral) of all these forces will be ##\vec{F}+\vec{A}=\sum \vec{dF_i}## , where A is the buoyancy force which is canceled by the weight of the boat. So all that is left is the force F. So we have to supply a force equal and opposite to F to keep the boat move at constant speed v. If you do the math (starting from the definition of the power and also using the definition of work of a force) for a constant force applied at a body that moves with constant velocity v, the power provided by force F is equal to Fv.

Last edited:
Faiq said:
I know the correct answer is b. My confusion is why is a incorrect?
My reasoning: The boat experiences a total drag of F. Which means at every point the boat experiences a resistance where R = F. Thus to steer at v, we have to apply a force of R. Which will provide the only option 1/2Fv.
Drag and resistance are the same thing!

Related to Power of Boat: Exploring R vs F

1. What is the difference between "R" and "F" in the Power of Boat?

The "R" and "F" in the Power of Boat refer to two different types of boat propulsion systems. "R" stands for rowing, where the boat is propelled by rowers using oars. "F" stands for fixed propulsion, where the boat is propelled by a fixed engine or motor.

2. Which type of boat propulsion is more efficient?

In terms of efficiency, fixed propulsion is generally considered to be more efficient than rowing. This is because fixed propulsion systems can often move the boat at a faster speed with less effort from the user.

3. What are the advantages of rowing over fixed propulsion?

Rowing has several advantages over fixed propulsion. It is a low-impact and full-body exercise, making it a great form of physical activity. It also allows for more control and maneuverability of the boat, making it a popular choice for recreational and competitive rowers.

4. How does the Power of Boat impact boating activities?

The Power of Boat plays a significant role in determining the speed, efficiency, and overall experience of boating activities. The type of boat propulsion chosen can affect the type of water conditions the boat can handle, the amount of effort needed from the user, and the overall performance of the boat.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the Power of Boat?

Both rowing and fixed propulsion have their own set of safety concerns. With rowing, there is a risk of capsizing and injury from the oars. With fixed propulsion, there is a risk of engine failure or malfunction. It is important for boat operators to understand and follow safety protocols for their chosen type of propulsion to ensure a safe boating experience.