Power loss when fan is connected; finding current

In summary, the question asks for the power dissipated by an electric fan with a 1500 Ω resistance and 1.4 H inductance, plugged into a 115 V(rms), 60 Hz socket. To find the power, the formula P = IV or P = I^2R is used, but since the circuit involves an inductor, the impedance Z must be calculated first. The use of complex numbers allows for the representation of the inductor's effect on the phase of the input signal. Using V = IR is not valid in this case because there is no constant resistance in the circuit. Therefore, the use of steady-state AC techniques is necessary to find the power dissipated by the electric fan.
vizakenjack

Homework Statement

An electric fan which is plugged into a 115 V(rms), 60 Hz socket in your house can be considered as made up of a 1500 Ω resistor in series with a 1.4 H inductance. How much power is dissipated by this electric fan on the average? (in W)

Homework Equations

P = IV = I^2 R
I = V/Z(impedance) or I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Find Z, then I, then P.

My question is, however, why couldn't I use I = V/R?? The other formula to find current? Why wasn't it valid here? Because V/R is for capacitors... or? Can someone explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
vizakenjack said:
Because V/R is for capacitors

What do you mean by this?

The reason you have to use Z instead of R is that you're now dealing with complex quantities, because of the inductance. Why is this important? Because the inductor will affect the phase of the input signal, so complex numbers allow us to represent that.

Not only that, but why would you be able to use V=IR? You have the voltage drop across a resistor in series with the inductor, but there is no "constant" resistance in that case. You have to rely on your steady-state AC techniques.

Likes vizakenjack

Related to Power loss when fan is connected; finding current

What causes power loss when a fan is connected?

The main cause of power loss when a fan is connected is the additional load on the circuit. The fan requires energy to run, and this energy is drawn from the circuit, resulting in a decrease in available power for other devices.

How does the voltage affect the power loss when a fan is connected?

The voltage directly affects the power loss when a fan is connected. A lower voltage will result in a larger power loss, as the fan will draw more current to compensate for the lower voltage. On the other hand, a higher voltage can reduce the power loss, as the fan will draw less current.

What is the relationship between current and power loss when a fan is connected?

The relationship between current and power loss when a fan is connected is directly proportional. This means that as the current drawn by the fan increases, the power loss also increases. Therefore, it is important to consider the current draw of the fan when calculating the power loss.

How can I calculate the current draw of a fan?

The current draw of a fan can be calculated using Ohm's law: I = P/V, where I is the current in amperes, P is the power in watts, and V is the voltage in volts. By knowing the power and voltage of the fan, you can calculate the current draw and use it to determine the power loss in the circuit.

What are some ways to reduce power loss when a fan is connected?

One way to reduce power loss when a fan is connected is to use a fan with a lower power rating. This will result in lower current draw and therefore, less power loss. Additionally, using a higher voltage source can also help reduce power loss. Another option is to use more efficient fans, such as those with brushless motors, which can use less energy to produce the same amount of airflow.