Power Inverter + Solar Panel: Run DVR 24/7?

In summary, if you want the DVR to run 24/7, you will need to buy a solar panel array that is 4-6 times the rating of the DVR, and more batteries.
xRascal
hi i wonder be able to help me i got a 150w solar panel , and a 20a charge controller and two marine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252019284625?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i want to run the dvr box which is using around 12v 5a i want it to be on 24/7 do i have enough battery power to last that long ? also it be running off a 12v jack to the dvr box it self from the charge controller ?
also i have got a 2000w (4000W peak) power inverter 2000 watt 12v UPS inverter battery charger for backup and using tools now and again

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If the dvr is really pulling 5 amps, then no, you don't have enough power for it. Solar panels average 15-20% usage factor and obviously that is highly weather and season dependent. But if 5 amps is what the dvr nameplate says, it may not actually be pulling that much continuously. You may want to measure it.

With 150 amps of solar panels and deep discharge batteries, you should be able to supply 60 amp-hours of energy per day at the latitude of Florida/Arizona. At the latitude of Maine/Seattle, you need 50% more panels. On stormy days with thick clouds, your panel will only make 25% as much as on a sunny day. So, Russ Waters is correct, you don't have enough panels or enough batteries for a continuous 5 amp draw.

Six batteries and 400 watts of panels will be closer to serving your need, or you can maybe use a smaller amp or turn the volume down, or run it only part of the day.

That 2000 watt inverter is huge. In a few minutes it will suck up all the energy your panel makes in a day. Figure 1 kwH per day for 200 watts of panels. Also figure that inverters are only 50% efficient.

ah okay so you think if i get another solar panel think it be better ? like another 150 or 100w solar ? plus more batterys ? the cctv i can make it go to 12v 2amps

The solar panel power rating needs to be 4-6 times that of the load if you want to run the load 24/7. You indicated a 60 W load (120V,5A), so you need at least ~300 W of new PV panel array, or 360 W on the nameplate to still be producing at least 300 W twenty years from now. Depending on your latitude, you'll need less PV in the summer and more in winter, and more still on cloudy days. If you want the most power averaged across the year, mount your panels south facing at an angle equal to your latitude. If you want to buy just enough panel to maximize winter production at the expense of a lower annual average power production, mount the panels more steeply.

As RussW indicated, the 60 W may be the *rating* of the DVR, i.e highest momentary load, but its average draw might be considerably less. You'll likely have to measure the DVR amps to know.

Related to Power Inverter + Solar Panel: Run DVR 24/7?

1. How does a power inverter work with a solar panel to run a DVR 24/7?

A power inverter converts the direct current (DC) electricity produced by a solar panel into alternating current (AC) electricity, which can then be used to power devices such as a DVR. The solar panel charges a battery, which is then connected to the power inverter. The inverter converts the DC electricity from the battery into AC electricity, which can be used to power the DVR continuously.

2. What size power inverter is needed to run a DVR 24/7?

The size of the power inverter needed depends on the wattage of the DVR and how long it will be running. It is recommended to choose an inverter with a wattage rating that is at least 20% higher than the wattage of the DVR. This will ensure that the inverter can handle the peak power demands of the DVR without overloading. It is also important to consider the battery capacity and the amount of sunlight available to recharge the battery when choosing an inverter size.

3. Can a power inverter and solar panel system run a DVR 24/7 without any interruptions?

It is possible for a power inverter and solar panel system to run a DVR 24/7 without any interruptions, as long as the system is properly sized and maintained. The amount of sunlight available and the capacity of the battery will determine how long the DVR can run without interruption. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the system to ensure it is functioning properly.

4. Is it cost-effective to use a power inverter and solar panel to run a DVR 24/7?

The cost-effectiveness of using a power inverter and solar panel to run a DVR 24/7 depends on various factors, such as the initial cost of the system, the cost of maintenance, and the cost of electricity in your area. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to use traditional electricity to power the DVR. However, in the long run, using solar power can save money on electricity bills and reduce carbon footprint.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of my power inverter and solar panel system when running a DVR 24/7?

To ensure the longevity of your power inverter and solar panel system when running a DVR 24/7, it is important to choose high-quality components and regularly maintain the system. This includes cleaning the solar panels, checking and replacing the battery as needed, and monitoring the inverter for any issues. It is also important to protect the system from extreme weather conditions and make sure it is installed properly to avoid any potential damage.