Power in the components of an RC circuit as a Function of time

In summary, the homework statement is a conversation about a simple RC circuit with an EMF source, resistor, and capacitor. When the switch is closed, find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor, the power dissipated in the resistor, and the power supplied by the emf. There are several ways to find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor.
physninj

Homework Statement

A simple RC circuit with an EMF source ε, Resistor R and capacitor C are in series. When the switch is closed find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor, the power dissipated in the resistor, and the power supplied by the emf as functions of time.

Homework Equations

For the resistor

P=i2R

i=(ε/R)e-t/RCFor the battery

P=iε

i=(ε/R)e-t/RC

For the capacitor

q=CE(1-e-t/RC)

U=q2/(2C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel decent about the expressions I got for the resistor and the battery.

Pres=[(ε/R)e-t/RC]2R

Pbat=[(ε/R)e-t/RC]εThe problem I'm having is getting the energy rate in the capacitor. I tried to just use the energy equation from above and divide by time but I don't think it's right, It's undefined at t=0, and I need to evaluate these equations at that point in later steps.

I think I may need to plug it into the energy and then take the time derivative. Its pretty messy though, is there a better way?

[CE(1-e-t/RC)]2/(2Ct)

Thanks for any input

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physninj said:

Homework Statement

A simple RC circuit with an EMF source ε, Resistor R and capacitor C are in series. When the switch is closed find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor, the power dissipated in the resistor, and the power supplied by the emf as functions of time.

Homework Equations

For the resistor

P=i2R

i=(ε/R)e-t/RC

For the battery

P=iε

i=(ε/R)e-t/RC

For the capacitor

q=CE(1-e-t/RC)

U=q2/(2C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel decent about the expressions I got for the resistor and the battery.

Pres=[(ε/R)e-t/RC]2R

Pbat=[(ε/R)e-t/RC

The problem I'm having is getting the energy rate in the capacitor. I tried to just use the energy equation from above and divide by time but I don't think it's right, It's undefined at t=0, and I need to evaluate these equations at that point in later steps.

I think I may need to plug it into the energy and then take the time derivative. Its pretty messy though, is there a better way?

[CE(1-e-t/RC)]2/(2Ct)

Thanks for any input
There are several ways to find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor.

You can use conservation of energy. You know the power supplied by the battery (rate of work done by the battery). You know the power dissipated in the resistor. From those it's fairly direct to account for the rest of the energy.

Alternatively, you can find the voltage drop across the resistor as a function of time. From that you can find the voltage drop across the capacitor as a function of time. Use that with U = (1/2)V2C.

You can integrate the current to find the charge on the capacitor.

SammyS said:
There are several ways to find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor.

You can use conservation of energy. You know the power supplied by the battery (rate of work done by the battery). You know the power dissipated in the resistor. From those it's fairly direct to account for the rest of the energy.

Alternatively, you can find the voltage drop across the resistor as a function of time. From that you can find the voltage drop across the capacitor as a function of time. Use that with U = (1/2)V2C.

You can integrate the current to find the charge on the capacitor.

I see, because what's not dissipated by the resistor is stored in the capacitor. I think I will take that route.

So its just

Pemf-Presistor=Pcapacitor

My other equations look alright I'm assuming?Thanks a bunch.

physninj said:
I see, because what's not dissipated by the resistor is stored in the capacitor. I think I will take that route.

So its just

Pemf-Presistor=Pcapacitor

My other equations look alright I'm assuming?

Thanks a bunch.
Yes.

They look right.

or advice.I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved in an RC circuit. The resistor and capacitor are connected in series, which means that the current through each component is the same. The capacitor stores energy in the form of electric charge, while the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat. The EMF source provides the energy to keep the circuit running.

To find the rate of energy stored in the capacitor, we can use the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor: U = q^2/(2C). We can differentiate this with respect to time to get the rate of energy stored: dU/dt = (2q/C)(dq/dt). We can substitute in the expression for the charge on the capacitor (q = CE(1-e^-t/RC)) and its derivative (dq/dt = -CE/R * e^-t/RC) to get dU/dt = -E^2 * e^-2t/RC. This expression gives us the rate of energy stored in the capacitor as a function of time.

To find the power dissipated in the resistor, we can use the equation P = i^2R. Since the current through the resistor is the same as the current through the capacitor, we can use the expression for the current through the capacitor (i = E/R * e^-t/RC) and substitute it into the power equation to get P = E^2 * e^-2t/RC. This gives us the power dissipated in the resistor as a function of time.

Finally, to find the power supplied by the EMF source, we can use the equation P = iE. Again, we can use the expression for the current through the capacitor and substitute it into the power equation to get P = E^2 * e^-2t/RC. This gives us the power supplied by the EMF source as a function of time.

Overall, we can see that the power in the components of an RC circuit changes over time due to the behavior of the capacitor. Initially, when the switch is closed, the capacitor is uncharged and there is a large amount of energy being supplied by the EMF source. As time goes on, the capacitor charges up and the power supplied by the EMF source decreases while the power dissipated in the resistor also decreases. Eventually, the capacitor reaches its maximum charge and the power supplied by the EMF source

Related to Power in the components of an RC circuit as a Function of time

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity and store energy.

2. How does power vary in an RC circuit over time?

The power in an RC circuit varies as a function of time and can be calculated using the formula P(t) = V(t) * I(t), where V(t) is the voltage across the circuit and I(t) is the current flowing through it. As the capacitor charges and discharges, the power in the circuit changes accordingly.

3. What factors affect the power in an RC circuit?

The power in an RC circuit is affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor, as well as the voltage and current in the circuit. The type of material used for the components and the frequency of the input signal can also impact the power.

4. How does the power in an RC circuit change with different values of resistance and capacitance?

As the resistance in an RC circuit increases, the power decreases because there is less current flow. On the other hand, increasing the capacitance will initially increase the power, but it will eventually decrease as the capacitor becomes fully charged and the current flow decreases.

5. What is the significance of power in an RC circuit?

The power in an RC circuit is important because it determines how much energy is being transferred and used in the circuit. It can also affect the functionality and stability of the circuit, as too much power can cause components to overheat and fail. Understanding the power in an RC circuit is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.