Power in network of resistors?

In summary, the resistance of R can be found by first calculating the equivalent resistance of the network and then using series and parallel analysis to find the value of R. Using the equation P = V^2/R, the equivalent resistance for the circuit was found to be 7.81 ohms. By setting this equal to the sum of resistances in series and parallel, the value of R was found to be 12.1 ohms. Another method to find R is by using the equation P = V^2/R_eq, where R_eq is the equivalent resistance for the circuit, and then using series and parallel analysis to find the value of R. This method gave the same result of 12.1 ohms.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

40xzd.jpg

Find the resistance of R, such that the network dissipates 295 Watts.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{eqp}} = \Sigma \frac{1}{R_{i}}[/tex]
[tex]R_{eqs} = \Sigma R_{i}[/tex]
[tex]P = \frac{V^{2}}{R} = VI = I^{2}R[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was first find the equivalent resistance of the whole network. The 4 ohm resistors are in series so I added them into one single 8 ohm resistor. Then that 8 ohm can be combined with R using the rule for resistors in parallel, then once again, that can be used to find the total resistance:

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{1}} = \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{R}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{2}} = \frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{3} = \frac{11R+24}{24R}[/tex]

[tex]R_{total} = \frac{24R}{11R+24}[/tex]

Now, since [itex]P = \frac{V^{2}}{R}[/itex] :

[tex]295 = 48^{2}(\frac{11R+24}{24R})[/tex]

[tex]7080R = 25344R + 55296[/tex]
[tex]-18264R = 55296[/tex]
[tex]R = -3.03 \Omega[/tex]

The book claims this to be 12.1 ohms, but no matter how I work it out I get some number less than one, or a negative? I tried making 295, since it says the power is dissipated, even though that didn't really make sense, still no luck. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
R1 is in series with the 3 ohm resistor, not in parallel.

Oh wow, :blushing:

Okay so:

[tex]R_{tot} = \frac{11R+12}{R+8}[/tex]

Then into P = V^2/R

[tex]295 = \frac{48^{2}(R+8)}{11R+12}[/tex]
[tex](11R+12)295 = 48^{2}(R+8)[/tex]
[tex]3245R +3540 = 2304R +18432[/tex]
[tex]-14892 = -941R[/tex]
[tex]R = 15.8 \Omega[/tex]

Which is still a bit off from the 12.1 ohms it's supposed to be?

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

40xzd.jpg

Find the resistance of R, such that the network dissipates 295 Watts.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{eqp}} = \Sigma \frac{1}{R_{i}}[/tex]
[tex]R_{eqs} = \Sigma R_{i}[/tex]
[tex]P = \frac{V^{2}}{R} = VI = I^{2}R[/tex]

Why not use: [itex]\displaystyle P = \frac{V^{2}}{R_{eq}}[/itex] to find the equivalent resistance for the circuit, then use series & parallel analysis to find R ?

SammyS said:
Why not use: [itex]\displaystyle P = \frac{V^{2}}{R_{eq}}[/itex] to find the equivalent resistance for the circuit, then use series & parallel analysis to find R ?

So like:
[tex]R = \frac{V^{2}}{P} = \frac{48^{2}}{295} = 7.81[/tex]

[tex]7.81 = \frac{8R}{R+8} + 3[/tex]

[tex]4.81R + 38.48 = 8R[/tex]

[tex]38.48 = 3.19R[/tex]

[tex]R = 12.1[/tex]

What the heck, how is it that the other method I was using did not work?

Also, Thanks!

Related to Power in network of resistors?

What is a network of resistors?

A network of resistors is a group of resistors connected together in a circuit, with the purpose of controlling the flow of electrical current.

How is power calculated in a network of resistors?

Power in a network of resistors is calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

How does the arrangement of resistors affect power in a network?

The arrangement of resistors can affect power in a network by changing the total resistance, which in turn affects the current and voltage in the circuit. A series arrangement increases the total resistance and decreases the current, while a parallel arrangement decreases the total resistance and increases the current.

What is the relationship between power and resistance in a network of resistors?

Power and resistance have an inverse relationship in a network of resistors. As resistance increases, power decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance restricts the flow of current, resulting in a lower power output.

Can power be increased in a network of resistors?

Power can be increased in a network of resistors by either increasing the voltage or decreasing the resistance. This can be achieved by using a power supply with higher voltage or by using resistors with lower values. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the circuit and ensure that the components can handle the increased power.