Finding Maximum Power in an AC Circuit

In summary: I input this as 1.10*(10^3) W but it was wrong. I just don't understand how this answer was marked wrong, while the more complicated part (9c) turned out right.In summary, a voltage of (110 V) sin ωt is applied across a series combination of a 2.07 H inductor, a 13.8 μF capacitor, and a 11.0 Ω resistor. The angular frequency at which the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum is 187 rad/s, and the power at that frequency is 1098.47 W. The two angular frequencies at which the power delivered is one-half the maximum value
pious&peevish
Not sure if this is in the right category because circuits are more of an electrical engineering-related area, but this is part of an assignment for a standard second semester calculus-based physics course (i.e. E&M), so I'll leave it here for now. Feel free to move it to another category if it does not belong here.

Homework Statement

A voltage Δv = (110 V) sin ωt (in SI units) is applied across a series combination of a 2.07 H inductor, a 13.8 μF capacitor, and a 11.0 Ω resistor.

a) Determine the angular frequency, ω0 at which the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum.
b) Calculate the power at that frequency.
c) Determine the two angular frequencies ω1 and ω2 at which the power delivered is one-half the maximum value. [The Q of the circuit is approximately ω0/(ω2 - ω1).] Enter the smaller one first.

Homework Equations

P=IV=V^2/R
Z = √((R)^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)
I(rms) = V(rms)/Z

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the answer to a) - it was 187 rad/s. I used the impedance equation Z = √((R)^2+(Xl-Xc)^2) to find it.
I know b) is referring to the resonant frequency, but I'm not sure how to proceed. For c), I don't know what "the Q of the circuit" refers to.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
pious&peevish said:
Not sure if this is in the right category because circuits are more of an electrical engineering-related area, but this is part of an assignment for a standard second semester calculus-based physics course (i.e. E&M), so I'll leave it here for now. Feel free to move it to another category if it does not belong here.

Homework Statement

A voltage Δv = (110 V) sin ωt (in SI units) is applied across a series combination of a 2.07 H inductor, a 13.8 μF capacitor, and a 11.0 Ω resistor.

a) Determine the angular frequency, ω0 at which the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum.
b) Calculate the power at that frequency.
c) Determine the two angular frequencies ω1 and ω2 at which the power delivered is one-half the maximum value. [The Q of the circuit is approximately ω0/(ω2 - ω1).] Enter the smaller one first.

Homework Equations

P=IV=V^2/R
Z = √((R)^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)
I(rms) = V(rms)/Z

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the answer to a) - it was 187 rad/s. I used the impedance equation Z = √((R)^2+(Xl-Xc)^2) to find it.
I know b) is referring to the resonant frequency,
So is a).
For c), I don't know what "the Q of the circuit" refers to.
It tells you what Q is right in the problem!

OK, you have found the frequency of max. power. So you can compute the current. Given that, what is the power in an R-L-C circuit? Is there power dissipated in all three components or ... ?

Then, at what two frequencies is that power halved?

Thanks. So let me see if I've got this straight: since I(rms)=V(rms)/Z, and I have V(rms) and the components required to calculate Z, I can solve for I(rms). Then would P=I(rms)*V(rms)? I know in an RLC circuit, only the resistor dissipates energy. So then would the total power be something like P=(I(rms)*V(rms))-(I(rms)^2(R))?

By the way, what I meant about Q was that I don't know what its *physical interpretation* is.

pious&peevish said:
Thanks. So let me see if I've got this straight: since I(rms)=V(rms)/Z, and I have V(rms) and the components required to calculate Z, I can solve for I(rms). Then would P=I(rms)*V(rms)? I know in an RLC circuit, only the resistor dissipates energy. So then would the total power be something like P=(I(rms)*V(rms))-(I(rms)^2(R))?

If only the resistor dissipates power, which you got right, and you know the current thru the resistor, what is the total power dissipation in the circuit?

You will need to compute current in part d) at frequencies other than resonance, so need to get that right.

By the way, what I meant about Q was that I don't know what its *physical interpretation* is.[/QUOTE]

OK, the physical interpretaton is bandwidth, in the sense that between w2 and w1 the power is at least half the power at resonance.

So the total power would be just P=(I(rms))^2*R? For the last part, would I then divide the value for power by 2 and then use the equation for impedance (Z) again to determine the two angular frequencies?

Thanks a lot, by the way; this has been very helpful.

pious&peevish said:
So the total power would be just P=(I(rms))^2*R? For the last part, would I then divide the value for power by 2 and then use the equation for impedance (Z) again to determine the two angular frequencies?

Thanks a lot, by the way; this has been very helpful.

You are doing very well!

OK... something odd happened. I got the correct answer for 9c, but for some strange reason the corresponding answer to 9b was marked wrong.

I already found from 9a that w (omega) = 187 rad/s.

I did Z = sqrt[(11^2)+((187*2.07)-(1/(187*(13.8*10^-6)))^2)], and this simplified to Z = 11.007 ohms.

Then I(rms) = V(rms)/Z, and I plugged in 110 V for V (rms) and 11.007 ohms for Z to get I (rms) = 9.993 A.

So then I did P = I(rms)^2 * R, and ended up with (9.993 A)^2 * 11 ohms = 1098.47 W. Since the computer only takes 3 sig figs, I input this as 1.10*(10^3) W but it was wrong. I just don't understand how this answer was marked wrong, while the more complicated part (9c) turned out right.

pious&peevish said:
OK... something odd happened. I got the correct answer for 9c, but for some strange reason the corresponding answer to 9b was marked wrong.

I already found from 9a that w (omega) = 187 rad/s.

I did Z = sqrt[(11^2)+((187*2.07)-(1/(187*(13.8*10^-6)))^2)], and this simplified to Z = 11.007 ohms.

Then I(rms) = V(rms)/Z, and I plugged in 110 V for V (rms) and 11.007 ohms for Z to get I (rms) = 9.993 A.

So then I did P = I(rms)^2 * R, and ended up with (9.993 A)^2 * 11 ohms = 1098.47 W. Since the computer only takes 3 sig figs, I input this as 1.10*(10^3) W but it was wrong. I just don't understand how this answer was marked wrong, while the more complicated part (9c) turned out right.

They pulled a fast one on you. They said V = 110V sin(wt). But what is the rms voltage for that?

(Fact: 110V house voltage is not 110V sin(2pi 60t)!

P.S. part c) turned out right due to cancellation effects.

So... would V (rms) be 110 V * (sqrt(2))?

Oh, wait - should I multiply that by sin(187 rad) instead?

pious&peevish said:
Oh, wait - should I multiply that by sin(187 rad) instead?

No again.
Please look up rms voltage in your textbook or on the Web.

Thanks! I got the right answer.

1. How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, power is calculated using the formula P = Vrms x Irms x cos(θ), where Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Irms is the root mean square current, and θ is the phase difference between the voltage and current.

2. What is the difference between real power and reactive power in an AC circuit?

Real power, also known as active power, is the power that is actually consumed by the circuit and is responsible for performing useful work. Reactive power, on the other hand, is the power that is exchanged between the circuit and the source, but is not consumed. It is responsible for maintaining the magnetic field in inductive components and the electric field in capacitive components.

3. How does the power factor affect an AC circuit?

The power factor is a measure of how efficiently a circuit uses the power that is supplied to it. A higher power factor indicates that the circuit is using the power more efficiently, while a lower power factor indicates that there is a higher amount of reactive power in the circuit. A low power factor can result in higher energy costs and can cause equipment to overheat and malfunction.

4. Can power be transferred wirelessly in an AC circuit?

Yes, power can be transferred wirelessly in an AC circuit through the use of electromagnetic induction. This is the principle behind technologies such as wireless charging and wireless power transfer.

5. How do different components in an AC circuit affect the power consumption?

The different components in an AC circuit, such as resistors, inductors, and capacitors, can affect the power consumption in different ways. Resistors consume power and can cause a voltage drop, while inductors and capacitors consume reactive power and do not cause a voltage drop. The combination of these components in a circuit can affect the overall power consumption and efficiency.