Power generated from magnet and coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a power generator based on magnets and coils for an engineering project. The design parameters include using gauge 45 AWG copper wires with 200 coils and a N40 Neodymium cylindrical magnet with a rated residual flux density of 1.25T. The goal is to calculate the power generated from this setup, potentially for use in an energy harvesting floor. References to "dynamo" and Faraday's law are suggested for further research.
xonsniper4
Hey guys,
I'm an engineering student and for my project i am planning to use a power generator based on magnet and coil like those hand power shake flashlights.

I am using gauge 45 AWG copper wires (0.051816mm) and coiled to have 200 coils. The coil size will be 2.5cm. The magnet i am using will be N40 Neodymium cylindrical magnet sized 0.5'' x0.5'' with rated residual flux density of 1.25T.

I am hoping you guys can give me some advice in calculating the power generated from this setup.

Things i tried: I used Faraday's law to find voltage. After that, i used resistivity of copper and found the resistance of the wire then used P=V^2/R to try finding power but it seem to be too high to be real.

Thanks

PS: this is not a homework problem. Its a design project and we decide to use this system. We are mechanical engineering students that's why we couldn't find any professors to help us.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
So you have a permanent magnet that can slide through a coil - the idea being that you shake it or tip it.
Please note: a "design project" is homework. You have to do the designing yourself.

The sort of calculations you need to do will depend on the parameters of the design. What is it you need to design exactly? i.e. do you need to design the device to produce a specific output for a specific input - to specific tolerances?

Maybe it has to charge a battery to some level (i.e. so it runs an LED for a few hours) in some reasonable amount of time (i.e. before your arm gets too tired)?

When you know the design parameters, the rest will get a lot clearer.

I suspect you are best served by some sort of approximation.

xonsniper4 said:
Hey guys,
I'm an engineering student and for my project i am planning to use a power generator based on magnet and coil like those hand power shake flashlights.

I am using gauge 45 AWG copper wires (0.051816mm) and coiled to have 200 coils. The coil size will be 2.5cm. The magnet i am using will be N40 Neodymium cylindrical magnet sized 0.5'' x0.5'' with rated residual flux density of 1.25T.

I am hoping you guys can give me some advice in calculating the power generated from this setup.

Things i tried: I used Faraday's law to find voltage. After that, i used resistivity of copper and found the resistance of the wire then used P=V^2/R to try finding power but it seem to be too high to be real.

Thanks

PS: this is not a homework problem. Its a design project and we decide to use this system. We are mechanical engineering students that's why we couldn't find any professors to help us.

Welcome to the PF.

One keyword that you can use to look for references is "Dynamo". Here's the link to the wikipedia page, which has a number of references at the end of the article to help you find design equations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo

:smile:

I actually have to design a energy harvesting floors. Magnetism is just one of my ideas. I just need to find out how to calculate the power it can produce from the coil. how it works is the person walks on the tile and the magnet goes through the coil generating electricity. We might be using a battery or a capacitor to hold the charge to power LED lights. Just need to find out how to calculate the power it produces.

Hi there,

Great to hear that you are exploring power generation using magnets and coils for your project. This is a very interesting and practical application of electromagnetic principles.

Firstly, I would like to commend you for using Faraday's law to calculate the voltage induced in the coil. This is the correct approach as the changing magnetic field from the moving magnet will induce an electric field in the coil.

To calculate the power generated, you will need to take into account the resistance of the wire and the current flowing through it. As you have mentioned, you have already calculated the resistance of the wire using its resistivity and length. However, to find the current, you will need to consider the magnetic flux density of the magnet, the area of the coil, and the speed at which the magnet is moving.

The current induced in the coil can be calculated using the formula I = BANv, where B is the magnetic flux density, A is the area of the coil, N is the number of turns in the coil, and v is the velocity of the magnet. Once you have the current, you can use the power formula P = VI to calculate the power generated.

It is important to note that the power generated will also depend on the efficiency of your system, which includes factors such as the spacing between the magnet and coil, the quality of the materials used, and any losses due to friction or resistance.

I hope this helps you in your project. Best of luck!

Related to Power generated from magnet and coil

1. How does power generated from a magnet and coil work?

Power generated from a magnet and coil works through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a magnet is moved towards or away from a coil of wire, it creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the wire. This current can then be harnessed as electrical power.

2. What is the efficiency of power generated from a magnet and coil?

The efficiency of power generated from a magnet and coil depends on various factors such as the strength of the magnet, the size and number of coils, and the type of materials used. Generally, the efficiency is around 70-90%, but it can be improved through proper design and use of high-quality materials.

3. Can power generated from a magnet and coil be used to power homes or buildings?

Yes, power generated from a magnet and coil can be used to power homes or buildings. However, the amount of power generated may not be sufficient for large-scale use. It is more commonly used in small-scale applications such as powering electronic devices or in renewable energy systems.

4. Are there any environmental benefits to using power generated from a magnet and coil?

Yes, there are environmental benefits to using power generated from a magnet and coil. It is a renewable energy source that does not produce any emissions or pollutants. Additionally, it does not rely on fossil fuels, making it a cleaner and more sustainable option for power generation.

5. What are some potential applications of power generated from a magnet and coil?

There are various potential applications of power generated from a magnet and coil. It can be used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in devices such as transformers and relays to control and regulate electrical currents. It can also be used in renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.