Power flatscreen lcd tv by battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 48V100ah lithium battery pack to power a large TV. It is possible, but there may be some loss of energy due to inefficiency of the inverter. The speaker shares their personal experience of using a DC-DC converter to power a PC in their van while on vacation, and explains that this method is possible because most devices use a switching power supply. However, there is a complication with fuses when working with high voltage DC.
cypressg
Hi, does anyone know if this is possible? It's a large tv and would use about 500w, I was hoping to use a 48V100ah lithium battery pack.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible? Yes. The battery pack you describe holds 4.8 kWh. If you're using an inverter between the battery and the TV, you're going to lose some of that to inefficiency of the inverter, but not much.

I thought the 48 V might be difficult - since the volume market would be 12V - found this : Inverter Supply. I would invest in the purse sine and about 2 x the expected load... 1000W continuous ...

Back when inverters were expensive, heavy, and generally junk, me and my wife set out on vacation. I had a mountain of work to do, and thought to myself that I could set up a PC in the back of the van and knock out some work while it was her turn to drive.
Here's the part important to you -
I simply constructed a DC-DC converter that so that I got about 150V regulated DC from our 12V system. It worked great!
Why? Because almost everything uses a switching power supply, and the first thing that a switching power supply does is rectify the incoming AC and make it DC for a DC-DC converter. What a sweet deal, no pure since wave needed!
But, there is a complication. Since you are working with high voltage DC rather than AC, the original fuses don't work properly. Should a fault happen, they like to carry an arc. So, you're forced to give up your 25 cent fuse and replace it with a larger one of the same current rating, but made to break DC. They used to cost about $4.00.

- Mike

I can say that it is possible to power a flatscreen LCD TV using a battery. However, the feasibility of this depends on the specific specifications of the TV and the battery pack you are planning to use.

Firstly, you need to consider the power requirements of the TV. A 500w TV would require a significant amount of energy to run, so a high-capacity battery pack like the 48V100ah lithium pack you mentioned may be necessary. However, it's important to note that the TV's power consumption may vary depending on its size, resolution, and other features.

Secondly, you need to make sure that the battery pack you are planning to use can provide enough power to sustain the TV for an extended period. This means considering its voltage, current output, and capacity. It's also essential to consider the efficiency of the battery pack, as some energy may be lost during the conversion process.

Finally, you need to ensure that the battery pack is compatible with the TV and can provide the necessary voltage and current for it to function correctly. It's always best to consult the manufacturer's specifications for both the TV and the battery pack to ensure compatibility.

In conclusion, while it is possible to power a flatscreen LCD TV using a battery, it's crucial to consider the power requirements, battery capacity, and compatibility to ensure successful operation.

Related to Power flatscreen lcd tv by battery?

1. How long does the battery last on a power flatscreen LCD TV?

The duration of the battery life will depend on the size and type of battery used, as well as the power consumption of the TV. On average, a fully charged battery can last anywhere from 2-4 hours.

2. Can I use any type of battery to power my flatscreen LCD TV?

No, it is important to use the specific type of battery recommended by the manufacturer for your TV model. Using the wrong type of battery can damage the TV or cause it to malfunction.

3. Is it safe to leave my power flatscreen LCD TV plugged in while using the battery?

Yes, it is safe to use the TV while it is plugged in and also using the battery. This can help prolong the battery life and ensure uninterrupted viewing if the battery runs out of power.

4. Can I charge the battery while the TV is in use?

Yes, most power flatscreen LCD TVs have the capability to charge the battery while it is in use. However, it is recommended to charge the battery while the TV is turned off for optimal charging.

5. How do I know when the battery needs to be replaced?

Most power flatscreen LCD TVs have a battery indicator that will show the current battery level. When the battery is low, the TV may also give a warning or automatically shut off to prevent damage. It is important to regularly check the battery level and replace the battery when necessary.