Power Dissipation (more than one battery)

In summary, for the given circuit, the power dissipated by the 10.0 ohm resistor can be found by first choosing a reference node and then calculating the potentials with respect to that node and the power dissipations in the resistors. Two of the resistors and two of the voltage sources are now in parallel, which can be simplified by replacing them with a single source of the same voltage.
ReMa

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown, find the power dissipated by the 10.0 ohm resistor.

(as attached)

Homework Equations

P=IV=I2R=V2R
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start with this. I'm basically tied up in the fact that there are three different sources of voltage.

Am I to add the series/parallel resistances up for the whole circuit? I think I have to find current I in order to solve this but I'm really confused.

Attachments

• powerdis.bmp
    89.4 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
None of the resistances or voltage sources is in series or parallel as the circuit is now.

However the positive sides of the 10 ohm voltage sources are at the same potential, so you can connect them with a wire without affecting any of the currents or voltages in the circuit.
two of the resistors and two of the voltage sources are now parallel.

(If you have two equal voltage sources in parallel you can replace them with a single source of the same voltage. If you have two unequal voltage sources in parallel you get a short circuit)

To solve this kind of problems, it is customary to choose one node as a reference(0V). After that you can calculate potentials with respect to that node and consequently power dissipations in resistors.
My sugestion is to choose the node where the 3 voltage sources meet as your 0V referece.

Related to Power Dissipation (more than one battery)

1. What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation is the process by which energy is released or dissipated from a system, typically in the form of heat.

2. How does power dissipation affect multiple batteries?

When multiple batteries are connected in a circuit, the power dissipation is divided among them. This means that each battery may dissipate less power compared to a single battery.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in batteries?

The factors that affect power dissipation in batteries include the battery's internal resistance, the voltage applied to the battery, and the current flowing through the battery.

4. How can I calculate the power dissipation in multiple batteries?

To calculate the power dissipation in multiple batteries, you can use the formula P = I²R, where P is power dissipation, I is the current, and R is the total resistance of the circuit. You can also use the formula P = V²/R, where V is the voltage and R is the total resistance.

5. How can I reduce power dissipation in a circuit with multiple batteries?

To reduce power dissipation in a circuit with multiple batteries, you can decrease the current flowing through the circuit by increasing the resistance or reducing the voltage applied to the circuit. You can also use more efficient batteries with lower internal resistance.