Power conversion logic. What am I missing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling of a 12V alternator with a small engine to power a loaded 12V battery. The gas engine is 1.4HP and coupled with a 40 Amp 12V alternator. The question is whether the numbers make sense and if a 60A alternator should be used instead. The response suggests that the setup should work but the efficiency cannot be determined without experimentation.
MachX
Hello,

I have a project that involves the coupling of a 12V Alternator with a small engine to power a loaded 12V battery.

The gas engine is 1.4HP (1043.979Watts) coupled to a 40 Amp 12V alternator which is charging a 12V battery under a 35 Amp load.

The way I see it, the 35 amp load @ 12V = 420 Watts = roughly 0.563HP. Giving the engine an advantage of 623.979 Watts greater than the required draw.

What I do not know is; what the RPM of the alternator is at is most efficient speed. However I am almost positive the engine can meet and exceed it.

Given a basic look at this, do these numbers seem to make enough sense to provide sufficient power for the system to continually work under load? Should I go with a 60A alternator instead? I know there will be losses due to mechanical inefficiency/friction But do these figures seem proportionate enough to actually put to use? What should I look out for?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are asking a relevant question which has no simple answer afaik.
Generator sets are usually built as an integrated unit, with gasoline motor and alternator tuned to get the desired performance. Your setup should work as is, simply because you do not have any big starting loads such as compressor motors or pumps and it is amply sized for the steady state load. Hopefully you have provisions to avoid frying the battery by overcharging it.
However, the efficiency is indeterminate. It may be close to or far from optimal and only experiment will tell.

Yeah, you'll have to benchmark it. There's no easy answer to this.

Related to Power conversion logic. What am I missing?

1. What is power conversion logic?

Power conversion logic is a method of converting one form of power into another form. It involves the use of electronic components such as transistors and diodes to manipulate and control the flow of electricity, allowing for the conversion of AC to DC or vice versa.

2. How does power conversion logic work?

Power conversion logic works by using electronic components to control the flow of electricity. This can be done by using switches, inverters, or other devices to manipulate the voltage, current, or frequency of the power source, thereby converting it into a different form that is suitable for a specific application.

3. What are the different types of power conversion logic?

There are several different types of power conversion logic, including linear power conversion, switching power conversion, and multi-level power conversion. Each type has its own advantages and applications, and the choice of which one to use depends on the specific needs of a project.

4. What are some common applications of power conversion logic?

Power conversion logic is used in a wide range of applications, including power supplies for electronic devices, renewable energy systems, and electric vehicles. It is also commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to convert power for specific machinery or equipment.

5. What are some important factors to consider when designing power conversion logic?

When designing power conversion logic, it is important to consider factors such as efficiency, reliability, and cost. The efficiency of the system will determine how much power is lost during the conversion process, while reliability is crucial for ensuring the system functions properly. Cost is also an important factor, as it can greatly impact the feasibility of implementing a power conversion system.