Power and torque for the bus

In summary, when finding the required engine for a 15,000 kg bus with passengers and 12 metre length, you will need to determine the starting torque and power when it is on an inclined plane of 15%. You will also need to calculate the torque and power required for the engine when the bus is traveling on a level road at 70 km/h. The equations for these calculations are necessary for finding the solution, and you may need to make assumptions about friction forces. You can use the formula HP = (torque (ft lbs) x rpm)/5252, where a HP is 550 ft-lb/sec. Additionally, you will need to consider the weight component of the bus along the incline and the rolling and
yanikomer

Homework Statement

i want to find the required engine for a bus.
it is 15000 kg with passengers
12 metre length
i want to find starting torque and power required when it is on an inclined plane(%15)
and also i want o calculate the torque and the power of the engine required when it is going on a level road with 70 km/h

Homework Equations

i am looking for the equations that i can find the solution

The Attempt at a Solution

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you need to know: HP = (torque (ft lbs)) x rpm)/5252 and a HP is 550 ft-lb/sec

On the inclined plane, you'll want to find the component of the 15,000 lb bus weight along the incline...however, from a practical point of view there really isn't enough information to answer your questions...you need an assumption about friction forces...the length of the bus is irrelevant...

If the weight component was say 5,500 lbs along the incline and you were satisfied with an abysmally slow, unrealistic acceleration, 5500/550 or 10HP would just get it moving neglecting all frictional forces.

On a level raod, you'd need to know the rolling resistance with the road plus the wind resistance against the bus.

for unknown values i will make assumption but i need only the formulas.
how can i calculate the required torque and power of the engine to move the bus on an inclined plane?

i want to find the required torque and power while starting to move the bus on an inclined plane. do you know which words i can use while searching it on web ?

please help

thank you

Related to Power and torque for the bus

1. What is the difference between power and torque for a bus?

Power and torque are two different measures of a vehicle's performance. Power is the rate at which work is done, while torque is the measure of the rotational force of an engine. In simpler terms, power refers to how quickly a vehicle can achieve a certain speed, while torque refers to the vehicle's pulling or towing ability.

2. How is power and torque measured for a bus?

Power is typically measured in horsepower (HP) or kilowatts (kW), while torque is measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm). These measurements can be determined through dynamometer testing, where the engine's output is measured at various speeds.

3. Can a bus have more torque than power?

Yes, it is possible for a vehicle to have more torque than power. This is often seen in vehicles with diesel engines, as they are designed to produce high levels of torque at lower speeds. However, having more torque does not necessarily mean the vehicle will have better performance or be faster.

4. How does power and torque affect a bus's fuel efficiency?

In general, a higher power output and lower torque output will result in better fuel efficiency. This is because higher torque requires more fuel to be burned in order to maintain the same level of power. However, other factors such as vehicle weight, aerodynamics, and driving habits also play a significant role in a vehicle's fuel efficiency.

5. Can power and torque be increased in a bus?

Yes, the power and torque of a bus can be increased through various modifications such as engine tuning, adding a turbocharger or supercharger, or upgrading the exhaust system. However, it is important to note that increasing power and torque can also put additional strain on the engine and may affect the vehicle's overall reliability and longevity.