Power and Rotational motion problems

In summary, the conversation and problems discussed involve a student struggling with understanding problem sets and equations related to designing a conveyor system for a gravel yard, determining the power of a jet engine on an airplane, and calculating the acceleration of masses in an Atwood's machine. The student is seeking help and is currently stumped on how to approach these problems.
Fisicks
This last problem set my professor gave has left me befuddled. I feel like I am missing some intuition to solve these problems. The book isn't helping much, as I have spent hours in it. I have a few problems that I need some kind of head start on.

Homework Statement

You are designing a conveyor system for a gravel yard. A hopper drops gravel at a rate of 77.5 kg/s onto a conveyor belt that moves at a constant speed v = 2.20 m/s. Suppose the conveyor belt is retarded by a friction force of 150 N. Determine the required output power (hp) of the motor as a function of time from the moment gravel first starts falling (t=0) until 4 s after the gravel begins to be dumped off the end of the 25 m long conveyor belt.

Homework Equations

Ma=F_ext + v_rel(dM/dt) seems to be usedd here

The Attempt at a Solution

a=0, so P=Fv=(v)(v)(dM/dt)=(2.2)(2.2)(77.5) which is wrong but I don't know how to start in the right direction from here. I am also confused how you can incorporate the 4 seconds after some gravel has left the belt into that equation.

Homework Statement

The jet engine of an airplane takes in 130 kg of air per second, which is burned with 4.3 kg of fuel per second. The burned gases leave the plane at a speed of 600 m/s (relative to the plane). If the plane is traveling 260 m/s , determine the power (hp) delivered.

Homework Equations

Ma=F_ext + v_rel(dM/dt)
W=Fv

I tried (velocity of ejected fuel)(rate of fuel plus rate of air going out of system)(velocity of ejected fuel) which did not work either and I am again stumped.

Homework Statement

An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m_A and m_B, which are connected by a massless inelastic cord that passes over a pulley.If the pulley has radius R and moment of inertia I about its axle, determine the acceleration of the masses m_A and m_B. [Hint: The tensions are not equal.]

Homework Equations

I used F=ma for each of the masses and Torque=I(angular acceleration)

I had the two torques from the masses equal to I(angular acceleration). But my linear accelerations ended up canceling out and that's what I am solving for! So i have a feeling there is a third torque at work here. I am befuddled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I found my error in the last one, acceleration should be (a-g) or (a+g) when doing the FBD for each of the masses. Still stumped on the others.

Related to Power and Rotational motion problems

1. What is the difference between power and torque?

Power is the rate at which work is done, while torque is the rotational force applied to an object. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly work is being done, while torque is a measure of how much force is being applied to cause rotational motion.

2. How is power related to rotational motion?

Power is directly proportional to the angular velocity of an object in rotational motion. This means that the faster an object is rotating, the more power is being used to rotate it.

3. What is the formula for calculating power in rotational motion?

The formula for calculating power in rotational motion is:
Power (P) = Torque (T) x Angular Velocity (ω)

4. How does the moment of inertia affect power in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the more power is needed to rotate the object at a given angular velocity.

5. How can power be increased in rotational motion problems?

Power in rotational motion can be increased by increasing the torque applied to the object or by increasing the angular velocity. Additionally, reducing the moment of inertia of the object can also increase power. Another way to increase power is by using gears to increase the torque while decreasing the angular velocity.