Power Analysis of an Unknown Device in a Series AC Circuit Setup

In summary: The power delivered to the load would be equal to the apparent power (measured with a rms meter) multiplied by the load's reactance.
nontypicalazn
hi, I am wondering if anyone can answer this question of the following circuit setup, thanks:

an AC source connected parallel to a volt meter, together in series with an ampmeter, then series with some sort of device. No numbers are given. Volt and Amp meters are both ideal. What is the power delivered to (across, dissipated by, would there be any difference) unknown device, relative to Irms * Vrms.
thank you.

i uploaded a scheme.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9852/untitledml4.jpg

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nontypicalazn said:
hi, I am wondering if anyone can answer this question of the following circuit setup, thanks:

an AC source connected parallel to a volt meter, together in series with an ampmeter, then series with some sort of device. No numbers are given. Volt and Amp meters are both ideal. What is the power delivered to (across, dissipated by, would there be any difference) unknown device, relative to Irms * Vrms.
thank you.

i uploaded a scheme.

thanks
You already gave the answer, P = Irms * Vrms. Power is delivered to or dissipated by the device (not "across").

nontypicalazn said:

thank you.

i uploaded a scheme.

thanks
I'm not sure what the point of your question is. There is a concept of "apparent power" that can be measured with your rms meters, but that may not be telling you the true power delivered to the load. If the load is purely reactive, no power is actually delivered.

Here is a rather clear discussion of the problem.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/AC_11.html

well, that's what I am kinda asking. This unknown device is not defined. but generally speaking, what is the power dissipated by the load?
is it equal to IV
less than IV
or possibly equal to IV even when capacitors and inductors are present?

Oops, I wasn't thinking of reactive loads. My bad :blushing:

nontypicalazn said:
well, that's what I am kinda asking. This unknown device is not defined. but generally speaking, what is the power dissipated by the load?
is it equal to IV
less than IV
or possibly equal to IV even when capacitors and inductors are present?
The link I posted takes you through the possibilities. You cannot tell with your rms meters the true power being dissipated.

Related to Power Analysis of an Unknown Device in a Series AC Circuit Setup

1. What is circuitry theory analysis?

Circuitry theory analysis is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the study and analysis of electrical circuits. It involves understanding the behavior of various electrical components and their interactions within a circuit to predict and analyze the flow of electricity.

2. What are the key components of circuitry theory analysis?

The key components of circuitry theory analysis include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, network theorems, and circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis. These components serve as the foundation for studying and analyzing electrical circuits.

3. How is circuitry theory analysis applied in real-world scenarios?

Circuitry theory analysis is applied in various real-world scenarios, including the design and analysis of electronic circuits, troubleshooting and diagnosing faults in electrical systems, and predicting the behavior of electrical systems under different operating conditions. It is also used in the development of new technologies and advancements in the field of electrical engineering.

4. What are the common challenges faced in circuitry theory analysis?

Some common challenges faced in circuitry theory analysis include complex circuit configurations, non-linear components, and non-ideal behavior of components. These challenges require advanced analysis techniques and tools to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of a circuit.

5. How does circuitry theory analysis contribute to the field of electrical engineering?

Circuitry theory analysis is a fundamental aspect of electrical engineering and plays a crucial role in the design, analysis, and maintenance of electrical systems. It helps engineers understand and predict the behavior of circuits, leading to the development of new technologies and advancements in the field. It also aids in troubleshooting and diagnosing faults in electrical systems, ensuring their efficient and safe operation.