Potential of two points how are they same?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding points with equal potential in images with symmetry and the use of symmetry operations to determine equivalent points. The points EG and D are at equal potential in the first image due to their distance from H, and in the second image, points A and F, and D and G are equivalent due to being mirror images of each other in the mirror plane EHCB. The symmetry operation of turning the cube around the body diagonal HB by 120° does not change the image, and the battery connected to points H and B will not have any effect. In the third image, the cell is connected between points A and B, which creates a mirror plane again. Therefore, points FG and AD do not have any current flow
nishantve1

Homework Statement

I am confused here .
Each wire is of resistance R
How in this image

76xQa.png

E G and D are at the same potential

and in this image
pzhfZ.png

How A and F and Dand G are equivalent?

Homework Equations

I don't think any equations will be used in solving this but I guess V =IR might be

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first image what I figured out is since the points E G and D are at one resistor drop from H so they are at the same potential but I am not able to figure out in the second situation

I am taking help of this website
http://physicstasks.eu/uloha.php?uloha=285
but its quiet confusing
I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHATS THE METHOD BEHIND FINDING POINTS WITH EQUAL POTENTIAL IN SUCH CASES ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Symmetrically equivalent points are at equal potential. Those points are equivalent which transform into each other during a symmetry operation.
Have you got a cube? Turning it around the body diagonal HB by 120° would not change anything: It looks the same as before. If you connect the battery to the points H and B, on the same axes, nothing happens again as the battery transforms into itself.
In the other case, the battery is in the mirror plane EHCB. The point A is mirror image of F, and D, G are also mirror images to each other, so they are equivalent.

ehild

Attachments

• symmetry.JPG
    symmetry.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 428
Thank you ! So much respect .

Just a little more help . Please explain what's up with this one
1rjNe.png

Where is the symmetry here if the Cell is connected btw A and B ?
Also in the second figure why doesn't current flow through FG and AD ?

Last edited:
It is a mirror plane again...

ehild

Attachments

• sym2.JPG
    sym2.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 377

Related to Potential of two points how are they same?

1. What is the potential of two points?

The potential of two points, also known as the electric potential, is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space.

2. How is the potential of two points calculated?

The potential of two points can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two points.

3. Are the potential of two points always the same?

No, the potential of two points can vary depending on the distance between them and the amount of charge at each point. The potential of two points will be the same when the distance between them is infinity.

4. How does the potential of two points affect electric fields?

The electric field between two points is directly related to the potential difference between them. A larger potential difference means a stronger electric field between the two points.

5. What is the significance of the potential of two points?

The potential of two points plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric charges and electric fields. It helps in analyzing and designing electrical circuits, as well as understanding the behavior of electrical devices.