Potential of hydrogen electrode

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of a hydrogen electrode and whether it should be considered standard or not. The definition of a standard electrode and potential is mentioned, along with the importance of the system being in the standard state. It is concluded that the answer is likely D, as the hydrogen electrode may have a non-zero reduction potential.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.07.25 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the calculation of the potential of the cell and the potential for the copper electrode, it states that the hydrogen electrode has a potential of -0.09 V. But I thought hydrogen electrode is standard so it should be zero. Therefore I am not sure between C and D. Can someone explain which one is right and why?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
TT0 said:
But I thought hydrogen electrode is standard so it should be zero.

What does it mean "standard electrode"? What does it mean "standard potential"?

Standard electrode is a standard hydrogen electrode. Standard potential is the difference in voltage between the standard hydrogen electrode and the concerning electrode. I guess the hydrogen electrode could be non standard as you don't know it's solution's molarity and what M is. This means the answer is D?

Cheers!

TT0 said:
Standard electrode is a standard hydrogen electrode. Standard potential is the difference in voltage between the standard hydrogen electrode and the concerning electrode.

"Standard is a standard" is a tautology and it doesn't add much to the problem.

What is the definition of the standard potential?

Actually it seems like you are aware of what is important here, but you failed to mention it correctly.

Likes TT0
What is the definition of the standard potential?
I am not too sure. I think standard potential is the reducing strengths of the other electrodes relative to the standard hydrogen electrode.

TT0 said:
I am not too sure.

Then google it, or check your notes, or the book.

Likes TT0
Standard potential is the measure of the energy per unit charge which is available from the oxidation/reduction reactions of each electrode relative to the standard hydrogen electrode. So as the hydrogen electrode is not the standard one, it's reduction potential can be non-zero so D is the answer?

Cheers!

Sadly, this definition doesn't touch on a very important point - standard potential requires the system to be in the standard state.

Likes TT0
I see, thanks!

Related to Potential of hydrogen electrode

1. What is a potential of hydrogen electrode (pH electrode)?

A potential of hydrogen electrode, or pH electrode, is a scientific instrument used to measure the acidity or basicity of a solution. It consists of a glass membrane that is sensitive to hydrogen ions and a reference electrode which generates a constant electrical potential.

2. How does a pH electrode work?

A pH electrode works by measuring the difference in electrical potential between the glass membrane and the reference electrode. The glass membrane is selective towards hydrogen ions and allows them to pass through, creating a potential difference. The reference electrode, typically a silver/silver chloride electrode, generates a constant potential that serves as a reference point.

3. What is the range of a pH electrode?

The range of a pH electrode typically falls between 0 and 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. However, with specialized electrodes, this range can be extended to measure solutions with extreme pH values.

4. How do you calibrate a pH electrode?

To calibrate a pH electrode, a standard solution with a known pH is used. The electrode is immersed in the solution and the reading on the pH meter is adjusted to match the known pH. This process is repeated with at least two other standard solutions to ensure accuracy.

5. What are the applications of a pH electrode?

A pH electrode is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, environmental science, and food science. It is used to measure the acidity or basicity of solutions, monitor chemical reactions, and determine the quality of food and beverages. It is also an essential tool in water treatment and research studies.