Potential of a point from charged rod.

In summary, the individual is struggling with finding the potential due to confusion with integration limits. They have encountered two different answers depending on which limit they use, and are wondering which one is correct and if there is a standard approach to this issue. They also received helpful advice on integrating over a variable and its direction.
Piyu

Homework Statement

Hello, the problem i have with finding the potential is the integration limits. Assuming both the rod and point lies on the x axis. When i integrate the sum of many slices of rod, ill get 2 answers(negative and positive) depending on the limits i use.

Example i ended up integrating dx/x which means that if i set the far end of the rod as lower limit ill end up with ln(x/L+x) instead of ln((L+x)/X).

So the question is which of it is true and is there a standard way to approach this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Piyu! :smile:
Piyu said:
Example i ended up integrating dx/x which means that if i set the far end of the rod as lower limit ill end up with ln(x/L+x) instead of ln((L+x)/X).

One is minus the other (logs of inverses) …

and the minus comes because you should have replaced dx by d(-x) if you went the other way! :wink:

AH! So whenever i integrate over a variable like dx, it has to go from negative to positive(the right way). Never knew that :P Thanks for the help appreciate it!

Related to Potential of a point from charged rod.

1. What is the potential of a point from a charged rod?

The potential of a point from a charged rod is the amount of work needed to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to that point, against the electric field generated by the rod.

2. How is the potential of a point from a charged rod calculated?

The potential of a point from a charged rod can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the rod, and r is the distance between the point and the rod.

3. Does the potential of a point from a charged rod depend on the distance from the rod?

Yes, the potential of a point from a charged rod is directly proportional to the distance from the rod. This means that the potential decreases as the distance increases.

4. Can the potential of a point from a charged rod be negative?

Yes, the potential of a point from a charged rod can be negative if the point is located closer to the rod's negative charge than its positive charge. This indicates that the work needed to bring a positive charge from infinity to that point is negative, meaning that the electric field is doing work on the charge instead of the other way around.

5. How does the potential of a point from a charged rod affect the movement of charges?

The potential of a point from a charged rod determines the direction and speed of charged particles moving near the rod. Positive charges will move towards regions of lower potential, while negative charges will move towards regions of higher potential. The amount of potential difference between two points also determines the speed of the charged particles.