Potential for progression at now age 70

In summary: What I am looking for here, I can't define clearly.Anything that will help me along with this new career, contacts, advice et al.Anything is helpful, so long as it is relevant to getting a job with the ESA.
Martyn Arthur
Hi.
At age 70 having retired and now having time to study I am just completing my first-year physics degree at the open university with good results.
It is I think healthy and good to have an ongoing ambition, mine to get a job with the ESA before I am 80, maybe but clearly optimistically to be the oldest man in space (distance to the space station not one of the current commercial trips).
What I am looking for here, I can't define clearly.
Anything that will help me along with this new career, contacts, advice et al.
Any thoughts, please?
Martyn

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at astronaut bios, they spend typically 25 years after starting college before going into space. So 95 is more likely than 80. The mean life expectancy of 70 year olds is 14 years.

You also don't just have to survive. You need to be healthy enough to fly and to work once you get there.

The oldest person in space was a passenger. And was 90.

I think your best plan is to make a ton of money and using a space tourism company. Virgin Galactic will get you 50 km up for about 500,000 USD.

Likes dextercioby
Why are you like that, V50? Why does it bother you so when your fellow human dreams the dream?

FYI, >I< can take people 1 km up for 5k USD in my Suzuki. That's 50% off Virgin's rates. Just putting it out there.

Likes Hamiltonian
I'm sorry. I thought providing an actual path forward will be helpful,

Let me change my advice: Of course you can go into space! Why are you even getting your degree at all? Just run right down to the ESA office and they'll put you in a rocket ship right away!

Better?

$500K is a lot of money, but not an unatainable amount. In the US, the average (not median) net worth of a 65-74 year old is $1.2M. In the US, 38% of 70 year olds already have enough net worth for a Virgin Galactic ticket.

I think my plan to buy a Virgin Galactic ticket has a better chance of success than the OPs. Let's take the 38% at face value - do you think his plan is more likely to work?

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
There you go again, bringing reality and logic into a discussion.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Mea culpa.

Thing is, he actually likely can get into space - or close to it - following the path I outlined. That's above 99.9% of the atmosphere. And you get 3 minutes of weightlessness.

Last edited:
Bandersnatch said:
Why are you like that, V50? Why does it bother you so when your fellow human dreams the dream?
This was a pretty reasonable post by V50 IMO. Nothing wrong with being honest. And he included some math that was interesting and hopefully helpful to the OP.

Bandersnatch said:
FYI, >I< can take people 1 km up for 5k USD in my Suzuki. That's 50% off Virgin's rates. Just putting it out there.
This on the other hand confused me. $5k is 50% off of $500k? Carry the one... :wink:

EDIT -- Oh wait, are you charging by the vertical mile?

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Martyn Arthur said:
It is I think healthy and good to have an ongoing ambition, mine to get a job with the ESA before I am 80, maybe but clearly optimistically to be the oldest man in space (distance to the space station not one of the current commercial trips).
An inspiring goal, but not necessarily likely to succeed.
However, if it were my goal, I would look into what it is that ESA might look for in those it sends to space. This would likely involve extensive technical/scientific training or some special talent.
Alternative approaches might exist for getting into space, like journalist in space, artist in space, of some way to hitch a ride with a rich guy.

I think you'll have to wait 10 years to beat Shatner for age.

Irregardless of the prospects of your endeavor, just do the stuff you find interesting and fun on the way to your goal.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 8.04.07 AM.png

Likes phinds and berkeman
Ah well, I was hoping for some constructive thoughts on how I could move forward at age 70.
I don't seek to flog the age but it is a fact.
I qualified as a private UK pilot ten years ago at age 60, and with my ppl and oxygen went to 20,000" to look across and down to view... the cloud coming across that ground jet flight.
Shatner...well...so what, not what I want to do!
So please, come on guys, help this aged first-year undergraduate accelerate into the World of physics, please.
Martyn

Martyn Arthur said:
At age 70 having retired and now having time to study I am just completing my first-year physics degree at the open university with good results.
What I am looking for here, I can't define clearly.
Anything that will help me along with this new career, contacts, advice et al.
Any thoughts, please?
I'd expect age discrimination will likely rear its ugly head, so I think you might find it hard to get ESA to seriously consider hiring you. From ESA's perspective, they might think "How long can this guy realistically work here? Do we really want to invest the time and effort into training only to have him retire/die in ten years?"

Martyn Arthur said:
Ah well, I was hoping for some constructive thoughts on how I could move forward at age 70.
The replies have been meant to be constructive. We don't sugar-coat stuff here. That's not how professional scientists, engineers and mathematicians deal with the world.

Martyn Arthur said:
It is I think healthy and good to have an ongoing ambition
Absolutely. One of my Mentors through the years told me to strive to be a "goal-oriented achiever". That has helped me over many years of school and professional life.

Martyn Arthur said:
mine to get a job with the ESA before I am 80, maybe but clearly optimistically to be the oldest man in space
Unrealistic goals are counterproductive, IMO. You want realistic achievable goals, with intermediate goals along the way to keep you motivated and feeling good about your achievements.

I'm not familiar with the Open University that you are using, but a good set of shorter-term goals would involve getting good grades in your classes and doing well in exams in your subjects that you download from other universities. That will give you confidence that you are learning well, and on a good trajectory.

I would also encourage you to look at other (more realistic) longer-term goals, like being an outstanding instructor at your local community college, for example. There is a lot of value in having intelligent, caring instructors at the university and pre-university levels.

Best wishes, and do well. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, dlgoff, hutchphd and 2 others
vela said:
age discrimination
No more (and no less) so than commercial pilots.

ESA imposes a limit of 50 years. Unfortunately, despite what any or all of us want, 70 > 50.

Martyn Arthur said:
get a job with the ESA before I am 80
to be the oldest man in space
Well, for the first part: getting a job (or at least: being associated) is certainly doable, but I would suggest a different approach. Try the journalist path instead!
The competition is definitely fierce, but still, at least that moat is crossable.

Through physics or engineering, without prior work or fame on the field - just not realistic.

As for the second part - with the development of space tourism, if you manage to be associated with some space agencies (don't stop with ESA!) then it may not be entirely impossible to get a seat (with considerable discount, and/or by sponsorship) in the future.

Go for it!

Thank you so very much guys; I have ADHD which makes my perception confused and you have been really helpful; Thanks again for your time.
Martyn

Likes berkeman

1. What does "potential for progression" mean?

"Potential for progression" refers to the likelihood or possibility of an individual to continue developing or advancing in their career or personal life, even at the age of 70.

2. Is there a limit to how much an individual can progress at the age of 70?

While age may bring physical and cognitive limitations, there is no set limit to how much an individual can progress at any age. With determination, adaptability, and access to resources, people can continue to learn, grow, and achieve at any stage of life.

3. What factors contribute to an individual's potential for progression at age 70?

Several factors can impact an individual's potential for progression at age 70, including their physical and mental health, access to resources and opportunities, support from family and community, and their own motivation and drive to continue learning and growing.

4. Can an individual's potential for progression change over time?

Yes, an individual's potential for progression can change over time. Factors such as health, personal circumstances, and external opportunities can all influence an individual's ability to progress at any age.

5. How can society support and promote the potential for progression at age 70?

Society can support and promote the potential for progression at age 70 by providing accessible and inclusive education and training opportunities, promoting age-friendly workplaces and policies, and challenging ageist attitudes and stereotypes that may limit an individual's potential.