Potential Energy problem (i think)

In summary: No, that's not how it works here. I suggest you read the forum rules, particularly the section on homework help.
nebbione

Homework Statement

Write the cartesian equations of the movement of a material point of mass m that is in a forces field in which the potential energy is V(x,y,z)=-αy^2 , and you know that at time t=0 the point is in the position which has coordinates (0,0,Z0) with velocity v=V0*j

P.S: Sorry for my bad english but i had to translate it because it was an exercise of an exam at Mechanical Engineering at University of Bologna, Italy

Homework Equations

I can't understand how i can solvec this kind of prblem ? How should i think?
I heard that it's something with differental equations write ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Sincerely don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the problem asks for the equation of motion, it wants you to apply Newton's second law, F=ma.

Thank you for the collaboration but sorry i don't have any idea on how to proceed to solve it! I know what are cartesian equations, i know what is potential energy but can't understand what the problem is asking me really and don't know how to proceed to solve it. Can you write the solution step by step ?

Thank you!

No, that's not how it works here. I suggest you read the forum rules, particularly the section on homework help.

If you really are totally clueless and have absolutely no idea where to start, you're not at a point where you should be asking for help on this forum. You first need to go back to your book and notes, perhaps talk to your professor or teaching assistants, and get at least a minimal level of understanding so you can make a reasonable attempt at solving the problem.

Ops sorry ! It won't happen again, I'm a new user anyway i don't have any idea on how to solve it... i'll try to ask one of my classmates.
Thank you!

Related to Potential Energy problem (i think)

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the stored energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. What is the formula for potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. How do you calculate potential energy?

To calculate potential energy, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object. Plug these values into the formula PE = mgh to determine the potential energy of the object.

4. What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some real-life examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a book sitting on a shelf. In each of these cases, the objects have the potential to convert their stored energy into other forms of energy.

5. What factors affect potential energy?

The factors that affect potential energy include the mass of the object, the height or distance from a reference point, and the acceleration due to gravity. Changing any of these factors will result in a change in the potential energy of the object.