Potential energy of two protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field and potential energy of two protons separated by a distance b. The integral for the potential energy is set up in appropriate coordinates, but there is difficulty in determining how to evaluate it due to the infinite strength of the electric field near the point charges. It is suggested to set up the integral over a sphere with radius b and take the limit as b approaches infinity, but it is unclear how this will yield an expression of the form \frac{Ce^{2}}{b}. Help is requested in understanding this concept.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

Consider the electric field of two protons, b cm apart. The potential energy of the system ought to be given by 1/4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]E[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]E[itex]_{2}[/itex]dv

Set up the integral in some appropriate coordinates, and show, without actually evaluating it, that it must be expressible as [itex]\frac{Ce^{2}}{b}[/itex], where C is a purely numerical constant, the value of a definite integral involving dimensionless quantities only.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obvious that the integral will end up expressible as [itex]\frac{Ce^{2}}{b}[/itex], since that's just the potential of one proton times the charge of the other. It's setting up the integral that's troubling me.

I don't see how to set up the integral over all of space so that it will converge. The electric field grows infinitely strong near either of the two point charges, so it shouldn't converge, right? I've only ever used this integral for potential energy with spheres and such, where the field doesn't go to infinity, so this is new to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it is possible to set up the integral over a sphere with radius b, centered on one of the protons, and then take the limit as b goes to infinity. However, I'm not sure how to show that this yields an expression of the form \frac{Ce^{2}}{b}, where C is a numerical constant.Any help would be appreciated!

Related to Potential energy of two protons

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or composition, and it has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy of two protons calculated?

The potential energy of two protons can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the potential energy between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

What factors affect the potential energy of two protons?

The potential energy of two protons is affected by their charges, distance between them, and the medium in which they are located. It also depends on the electrical properties of the medium, such as its dielectric constant.

What is the unit of measurement for potential energy?

The SI unit of measurement for potential energy is joules (J). In the case of two protons, the potential energy is usually expressed in electron-volts (eV) or mega-electron volts (MeV).

How does potential energy of two protons relate to nuclear reactions?

The potential energy of two protons plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as it determines the stability of a nucleus and the likelihood of a nuclear reaction occurring. In nuclear fusion, the potential energy between two protons must be overcome for them to form a stable helium nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.