Potential Energy of a solid sphere and a thin disk

In summary: This is because at really big r0 and really big R, the area of the ring is the same as the area of the disk. So the potential energy is the same.
kudoushinichi88
A solid sphere with radius r is placed on top of a thin disk with radius R. The contact point is the center of the disk. Both objects are uniform and have the same mass M. Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the system. Take the potential energy to be zero when the sphere and the disk are infinitely far apart.

The gravitational potential equation is of course,

[tex]U=\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

I know I have to do some integration here, but I am not sure how to cut up the two objects into small pieces. And I have a feeling that this might require a double integration...

Any hints on how to cut them up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can treat the sphere as a point mass because of its symmetry. The disk will need to be integrated over a series of rings.

I tried the method you suggested and this is the result;

I rename the the radius of the sphere to [itex]r_0[/itex].

A ring on the circle has an area of

[tex]
dA=\pi(r+dr)^2-\pi r^2[/tex]
[tex]=2\pi r dr[/tex]

the ratio of the mass of the ring to the total mass of the disk should be equal to the ratio of the area of the ring to the total area of the disk. This makes

[tex]
\frac{dm}{M}=\frac{dA}{A}=\frac{2\pi r dr}{\pi R^2}[/tex]

The distance S between the center of the sphere to a ring on the disk is

[tex]
S=\sqrt{r^2+r_0^2}[/tex]

Okay now we are ready to integrate...

[tex]
dU=-\frac{GMdm}{S}[/tex]

Subbing in everything, and integrating,

[tex]
\int_{0}^{U}dU=-\int_{0}^{R}\frac{2GM^2}{R^2}\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+r_0^2}}dr[/tex]

which results in

[tex]
U=-\frac{GM^2}{R^2}\left(\sqrt{R^2-r_0^2}-r_0\right)[/tex]

does this result make any sense?

In the very last step I get a + sign in the square root rather than the minus you have. There is a problem with the minus - when R gets smaller than ro, the radicand goes negative.

I can't think of a good way to test it for sensibility. As both R and ro get very small, U should get very large and the expression does that.

oh right. that term is supposed to mean the distance between the center of the sphere and the edge of the disk. damn, i keep making these careless mistakes...

So it should be

[tex]
U=-\frac{GM^2}{R^2}\left(\sqrt{R^2+r_0^2}-r_0\right)
[/tex]

Right. I actually cheated and looked up the integral in my old table. But I have since worked it out with a r = ro*tan(θ) substitution followed by a y = cos(θ). Thank you for an interesting revisit with calculus!

Wow, I didn't do any substitution at all. All I did was realising that by differentiating

[tex](r^2-r_0^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex],

you will get

[tex]\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+r_ 0^2}}[/tex]

I found out that this is the faster than any substitution method.

Anyway, thank you for your insight to the problem!

Although actually I am still wondering how do we justify that we can take the sphere as a point mass...

Last edited:
Very smart! I think I would have noticed that 35 years ago.
(you have that minus sign again)

woops. copy paste error. XP

Just a question of my own. Why can't we just assume everything is point mass and work it out?

koudos are you from NUS- physics? Jamil?

Please refrain from using this thread as a chat room. There is a private message function. (:

Last edited:
Delzac said:
Just a question of my own. Why can't we just assume everything is point mass and work it out?

Assuming them as point masses would only yield approximate answers. Especially when we are dealing with a disk, and not a spherical mass.

We could imagine that if R is big, then the sphere would be affected by the gravity exerted by the mass on the edges of the disk. Therefore, we can't possibly treat the disk as a point mass.

From the equation that I got, if r_0 is really really big, we arrive at the correct conclusion - the potential energy becomes zero. But If R is really really big, then the equation becomes GM^2/R. I'm not too sure about the validity of this equation though... I am not sure how to explain this physically.

kudoushinichi88 said:
Subbing in everything, and integrating,

[tex]
\int_{0}^{U}dU=-\int_{0}^{R}\frac{2GM^2}{R^2}\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+r_0^2}}dr[/tex]

which results in

[tex]
U=-\frac{GM^2}{R^2}\left(\sqrt{R^2+r_0^2}-r_0\right)[/tex]

You missed a factor of 2 from the integral , apart from the - sign. (∫xdx = 2x½).

To find the behaviour of U at very big r0 and very big R, use the identity :

√(a+b)-√a=b/(√(a+b)+√a)

The asymptotic potential energy function should be the same as that of a point mass in the field of a disk or sphere.

ehild

You missed a factor of 2 from the integral , apart from the - sign. (∫x-½dx = 2x½).
Another 2 from differentiating r² cancels it out, I think.

No, it cancels out with the factor 2 in the integrand itself.

ehild

Related to Potential Energy of a solid sphere and a thin disk

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

2. How is potential energy different for a solid sphere and a thin disk?

The potential energy of a solid sphere and a thin disk is determined by their mass, shape, and distance from the reference point. However, a solid sphere has a greater potential energy due to its larger mass compared to a thin disk.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point. For a solid sphere and a thin disk, the formula would be PE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

4. How does the potential energy change as the distance from the reference point changes?

As the distance from the reference point increases, the potential energy also increases. This is because the object has to do more work to overcome the force of gravity and move to a higher position, resulting in an increase in potential energy.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed. Similarly, potential energy can also be converted into thermal energy when an object is lifted and then released, causing it to do work and generate heat.