Potential Energy / linear and angular velocity

In summary, a 2 kg cylinder with a radius of 1 m starts from rest at point A, 3.5 m above a flat stretch of ground, and rolls down a 30 degree slope. It then rolls horizontally before ascending another 30 degree slope and ending up on a flat surface 2 m above the ground. Assuming no friction and a gravity acceleration of 9.80 m/s2, the kinetic and potential energy of the cylinder at points A, B, and C are calculated, with the origin of potential energy at the center of mass. The linear and angular velocity of the cylinder at points A, B, and C are also determined.
wooram83
1. A cylinder, of mass 2 kg, and a radius of 1 m, starts from rest, at point A, with its axis 3.5m above a flat stretch of ground, then rolls down a 30 degree slope as shown. After rolling a few meters horizontally, it rolls up another 30 degree slope and emerges on a flat surface 2 m above the
ground, still rolling.
Assuming no loss to friction, and the acceleration of gravity is 9.80 m/s2:
a) Find the kinetic and potential energy of the cylinder at point A
b) Find the kinetic and potential energy of the cylinder at point B
c) Find the kinetic and potential energy of the cylinder at point C
Be sure to define the origin of potential energy (where PE = 0)
d) Find the linear and angular velocity of the cylinder at point A
e) Find the linear and angular velocity of the cylinder at point B
f) Find the linear and angular velocity of the cylinder at point C

Homework Equations

I=1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) KE=0, PE=68.6J
b) PE=0, KE=68.6J
c) PE= 39.2J, KE=29.4J
d) both=0
e) w=6.8 rad/s, v=6.8 m/s
f) w=5.1 rad/s, v=5.1m/s

I wasn't sure where to base the height on this question for the potential energy. The book says I have to measure from the center of mass but when the ball is on the ground the center of mass is located 1m above the ground. Do I still consider this Potential Energy zero or do I need to put 1m as the height? If I consider this to be zero at the ground than do I measure the original Potential Energy at the bottom of the ball? Please check my other work as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
wooram83 said:
I wasn't sure where to base the height on this question for the potential energy. The book says I have to measure from the center of mass but when the ball is on the ground the center of mass is located 1m above the ground. Do I still consider this Potential Energy zero or do I need to put 1m as the height? If I consider this to be zero at the ground than do I measure the original Potential Energy at the bottom of the ball?

You could make ground + 1m the zero reference. Or you could make the initial height of the center of mass the zero reference. Or you could put it 100m below ground. As long as you keep track of the signs as things shift around, everything will work out.

Some people find it easier to keep things straight by identifying the point of lowest potential in the problem and calling it the zero reference. That way, everything will always have positive (or zero) potential and there's no signs to muck up.

So sure, put your zero reference at the height of the center of mass of the cylinder at its lowest.

Related to Potential Energy / linear and angular velocity

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line. It is commonly measured in meters per second (m/s) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is linear velocity related to potential energy?

Linear velocity and potential energy are related through the equation PE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear velocity. This means that an object with a higher linear velocity will have a higher potential energy.

5. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position with respect to time. It is commonly measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.