Potential energy equation to force equation?

In summary: I've tried everythingIn summary, the force as a function of separation distance in a diatomic molecule can be expressed as 2a*De*[e^(-2a(r-re))-e^-(a(r-re))], with the sign possibly being incorrect.
MattNguyen

Homework Statement

The binding potential energy in a diatomic molecule (N2 for example) is often approximated by the Morse potential energy which has the form U(r) = De (1-e^[-a(r-re)])2 where De is a constant that reflects the well depth (dissociation energy), a is a constant that reflects the width of the well, r is the distance between the atoms, and re is the equilibrium distance. Input an expression for the force as a function of the separation distance (r).

Homework Equations

F=-du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

F=2a*De*[e^(-2a(r-re))-e^-(a(r-re))]
I'm just unsure about the re part. I feel like I'm almost correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
MattNguyen said:

Homework Statement

The binding potential energy in a diatomic molecule (N2 for example) is often approximated by the Morse potential energy which has the form U(r) = De (1-e^[-a(r-re)])2 where De is a constant that reflects the well depth (dissociation energy), a is a constant that reflects the width of the well, r is the distance between the atoms, and re is the equilibrium distance. Input an expression for the force as a function of the separation distance (r).

Homework Equations

F=-du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

F=2a*De*[e^(-2a(r-re))-e^-(a(r-re))]
I'm just unsure about the re part. I feel like I'm almost correct.
Looks ok except for the sign.

Which sign? I entered it into my online homework and it was wrong so that's why I'm asking.

Seems to be correct.

Now I have this
2 a D
e ( Exp ( - 2 a ( r - re ) ) - Exp ( - a ( r -| re ) ) )
and I inputted it and it says there's a sign error. I just have no idea where,

Related to Potential energy equation to force equation?

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or state. It is the energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

What is the potential energy equation?

The potential energy equation is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N).

What is the force equation?

The force equation is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

How are potential energy and force related?

Potential energy is related to force through the force equation, as the force acting on an object can cause a change in its potential energy. Additionally, the potential energy equation can be used to calculate the force required to lift or move an object to a certain height.