Potential Energy and Work done to lift object distance h

In summary, to power a 0.10 kW bulb for 12 minutes, which is equivalent to 72,000 joules of work, would provide enough energy to lift a 1 kg object to a height of 7347 meters.
physicsballer2
Potential Energy and Work done to lift object distance "h"

The amount of energy needed to power a 0.10 kW bulb for 12 minutes would be sufficient to lift a 1 kg object how high?

Power = work/time
PE = mgh

First I converted kw to watts which is 100 watts. Then converted minutes to seconds = 720 seconds.
I found the work done by the lightbulb:

power = work/time
100 = w/720
w = 72,000 joules

Then I plugged that into potential energy(not sure if you can do that), I solved for h using 9.8 for gravity and 1 kg for mass

PE = mgh

72,000 = (1)(9.8)h

h = 7347 meters

That number seems a bit high

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.

Likes 1 person

Related to Potential Energy and Work done to lift object distance h

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object possesses because of its potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy related to lifting an object?

When an object is lifted, its potential energy increases as it gains height. This is because the object now has a higher position and therefore has the potential to do more work.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of an object?

The potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, height, and the force of gravity. The higher the mass and height, and the stronger the force of gravity, the greater the potential energy.

4. How is work done when lifting an object a certain distance?

Work is done when a force is applied to an object and it moves a certain distance in the direction of the force. In the case of lifting an object, work is done against the force of gravity and the distance lifted is the distance over which the force is applied.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. When an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed.