Potential energy, and use of datum line

In summary: I wasn't sure how to format it correctly, but it looks like you summed it up perfectly.In summary, the mechanism in the attached photo contains two masses, each treated as particles, and when released from rest, the 4-kg block falls and the 6-kg sphere rises at an initial angle of θ = 60°. The velocity of the sphere when θ = 180° can be found using the equation T_0 + V_0 = T + V, where T_0 is assumed to be 0, and solving for v_B yields v_B = 0.99 m/s. It is recommended to postpone plugging in values until the end to avoid errors and to check dimensions. The
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The mechanism in the attached photo contains two masses, each treated as particles. When released from rest, the 4-kg block falls and the 6-kg sphere rises. Initially, the angle between the two rigid, massless linkages is θ = 60°

What is the velocity of the sphere when θ = 180°?

Homework Equations

$$T_0 + V_0 = T + V$$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two questions about my attempt at this problem. One is regarding my use of the datum line, and if I am using it correctly. The other is regarding the final velocity of the falling 4kg block. I am using the assumption that it will be zero, as it needs to change directions, but I am not sure if that is right. I have seen discussions on here in the past about the change in speed of a piston vs. the crank, but I don't recall what the final verdict was.

Anyhow, here is my attempt. Please let me know if I am on the correct track.

[itex]T_0 + V_0 = T + V[/itex]

Labeling the 4kg mass as "A", and the 6kg as "B", and using the pivot point just under the B mass as my datum line. Also assuming that [itex]T_0=0[/itex], as nothing is initially moving.

[itex]W_Ay_0 + W_By_0 = \frac{1}{2}m_Av_A^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_Bv_B^2 + W_Ay + W_By[/itex]

Assuming [itex]T_{A}=0[/itex]

[itex]W_Ay_0 + W_By_0 = \frac{1}{2}m_Bv_B^2 + W_Ay + W_By[/itex]

Solving for [itex]v_B[/itex] yields

[itex]v_B=\sqrt{2\frac{W_Ay_0 + W_By_0 - W_Ay - W_By}{m_B}}[/itex]

[itex]W_Ay_0=4kg(9.81 m/s^2)(-0.3m)=-11.772 kg*m^2/s^2[/itex]

[itex]W_Ay=4kg(9.81 m/s^2)(-0.6m)=-23.544 kg*m^2/s^2[/itex]

[itex]W_By_0=6kg(9.81 m/s^2)(0.3\sin(30)m)=8.829 kg*m^2/s^2[/itex]

[itex]W_By=6kg(9.81m/s^2)(0.3m)=17.658 kg*m^2/s^2[/itex]

Plugging everything in yields
$$v_B = 0.99 m/s \approx 1 m/s $$

Look about right?

Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

Attachments

• dynamics problem.PNG
    dynamics problem.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 519
  • dynamics problem.PNG
    dynamics problem.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks just fine.

No urgent advice, but plugging in is best postponed until the end (you never know what cancels, you run less risk of errors and you can check dimensions).
I.e. at the end ## {1\over 2} l\; \Delta m\; g = {1 \over 2} m_2 \;v^2 \rightarrow v^2 = g \; { 1\over 10}##

Thanks BvU. Good advice on waiting, I typically get impatient and end up with rounding errors.

Related to Potential energy, and use of datum line

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, electric potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

How is potential energy measured?

Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI unit system. However, different types of potential energy may have their own specific units of measurement.

What is the use of datum line in potential energy calculations?

The datum line is a reference point used to determine the potential energy of an object. It is usually chosen as the lowest point or ground level, and all other heights are measured relative to this line. This helps in accurately calculating the potential energy of an object.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

A few examples of potential energy in real life include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, a charged battery, a pendulum at its highest point, and a compressed spring. In each of these cases, the objects have the potential to do work due to their position or configuration.