Potential energy and magnetic torque

In summary, potential energy is 0 when u(mu) is perpendicular to B(mag field). This is because torque is at its maximum when the angle between u and B is 90 degrees. However, potential energy is an arbitrary concept and the change from 0 to a negative value is the same as from a positive value to 0. Therefore, even if an object has the potential to do work, its potential energy can still be 0.
Jaymo3141
i'm having a hard time understanding why potential energy is 0 when u(mu) is perpendicular to B(mag field). Isn't the torque at max when the angle between u and B is 90? and there for has potential to do work all the way until the angle is 0. The way my mind sees it is, since there is a torque on the loop, it will move. Since it wants to move it should therefore have potential energy, just like if a box is up in the air and wants to fall. I just don't understand how potential energy goes from 0 to negative. It doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It is arbitrary to what position you assign the zero of potential energy. Only the change counts. The change from zero to some -U value is the same as from U to zero.

ehild

Related to Potential energy and magnetic torque

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored within an object or system due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to release and convert into other forms of energy.

2. What is magnetic torque?

Magnetic torque is the rotational force or torque that is exerted on a magnet placed in a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the magnet.

3. How is potential energy related to magnetic torque?

Potential energy and magnetic torque are related because the potential energy of a magnet in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the torque exerted on the magnet. As the potential energy of the magnet increases, so does the magnetic torque.

4. What factors affect the potential energy and magnetic torque of a system?

The potential energy and magnetic torque of a system are affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the strength of the magnet, and the distance between the magnet and the magnetic field. These factors determine the amount of potential energy and torque that can be stored and exerted.

5. How is potential energy and magnetic torque used in real-world applications?

Potential energy and magnetic torque have various real-world applications, including in electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. They are also used in particle accelerators and in the production of electricity from renewable sources such as wind and hydro power.