Potential energy and gravitation

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between kinetic and potential energy of a body projected in space from the Earth's surface with escape velocity. It was mentioned that potential energy is often undefined, but it is important to focus on the change in potential energy. The concept of setting potential energy to zero at the surface of the Earth was also explained, and it was stated that adding an arbitrary constant to the potential energy does not change the physics of the situation.
Amith2006
Sir,
A body is projected in space from the earth’s surface with escape velocity. It is said that at the time of projection its total energy is Kinetic. Is it true? If so, doesn’t it have gravitational P.E at the time of projection?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing about potential energy is that the total amount of potential energy is often undefined. What really matters is the change in potential energy. Thus, the problem is only asking you to arbitrarily set the V(R) = 0 where R is the distance from the center of the Earth when you are at its surface.

This is in the same way as you are setting kinetic energy to zero directly before the body is projected into space. You are picking zero arbitarily, in reference to the earth. The body could be said from the view of the sun, to have a bunch of kinetic energy as it is revolving around the sun at a very fast pace, but as only changes in kinetic and potential energy matter in Newtonian physics, we ignore those effects.

~Lyuokdea

At the time of release to make calculations easier , we set the P.E at the surface of Earth =0 , so that , we can easily calculate its K.E at some higher point as a function of distance from Earth's surface.

BJ.

I don't see how the energy at the time of projection is purely kinetic!

The total energy of a body of mass [itex]m[/itex] (moving with speed [itex]v[/itex]) in the central field is always the sum of its kinetic energy,

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

and the potential energy,

[tex]V = -\frac{GmM_{e}}{r}[/tex]

([itex]M_{e}[/itex] = mass of the earth)

where [itex]r[/itex] is the radial distance from the center of the earth. If you impart escape velocity to the body at the time of projection, then at [itex]r=\infty[/itex] it has zero energy. At any intermediate stage, the body obviously has some kinetic energy and some potential energy.

The potential energy at infinite separation is always zero but escape velocity guarantees that the kinetic energy at [itex]r=\infty[/itex] is zero too.

An energy balance at [itex]r=R_{e}[/itex] (where [itex]R_{e}[/itex] is the radius of the earth) and [itex]r=\infty[/itex] gives

[tex]T + V = 0[/itex]

or

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{esc}^2-\frac{GmM_{e}}{R_{e}} = 0[/tex]

[itex]v_{esc}[/itex] is the (required) escape speed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Via your definition of V=0 at infinity, then of course there will be a non zero v at r=radius of the earth, but try this conversiont:

[tex] V = \frac{GmM_e}{r} [/tex]

set:

[tex] V(R_e) = 0 [/tex]

R_e = Radius of the Earth

this gives you:

[tex] V(\infty) = + \frac{GmM_e}{R_e} [/tex]

Now, try to find a way that this changes the physics of the situation, it can't.

The only thing that matters is this change in the potential energy. If you are familiar with calculus this might help:

[tex] V = \int E * dl [/tex]

where * is the dot product, thus V has a degree of freedom of being able to be shifted by an arbitrary constant C, as do all integrals. If I try to find the electric field from the potential.

[tex] E = grad(V) [/tex]

for any arbitarary shift V' = V + C

[tex] E = grad(V') = grad(V+C) = grad(V) + grad(C) = grad(V) [/tex]

Thus adding any constant to C is completely arbitrary and does not change the physics of the problem. Sorry I can't figure out how to do gradients in tex all of a sudden.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited:
Lyuokdea said:
Via your definition of V=0 at infinity, then of course there will be a non zero v at r=radius of the earth, but try this conversiont:

[tex] V = \frac{GmM_e}{r} [/tex]

set:

[tex] V(R_e) = 0 [/tex]

R_e = Radius of the Earth

this gives you:

[tex] V(\infty) = + \frac{GmM_e}{r} [/tex]

Now, try to find a way that this changes the physics of the situation, it can't.
I agree except that here I think you meant
"consider adding at all points the value
[tex] V = \frac{GmM_e}{R_e} [/tex]
and this gives
[tex] V(\infty) = + \frac{GmM_e}{R_e} [/tex]"

Just to make things clear to the other posters (using the variable r instead of R_e might have confused them).

Patrick

yes, that's what I meant, I changed it in the original to be clearer.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

Lyuokdea said:
yes, that's what I meant, I changed it in the original to be clearer.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

I see what you mean but I don't think he is comfortable with the idea of reference in potentials because the question as it stands then has no "unique" answer. The fact that the body is on the Earth gives it a potential energy but if that happens to be your datum, you say its zero. Thats not mathematically incorrect either.

Related to Potential energy and gravitation

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has the potential to release or use.

How is potential energy related to gravitation?

Potential energy and gravitation are closely related because potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the greater its potential energy. This is because a greater amount of work is required to move the object against the force of gravity.

What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential energy is the actual energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. On the other hand, gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass of an object in a gravitational field. It is a measure of the work that would need to be done to move a unit mass from a reference point to a specific point in the gravitational field.

How can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy through various processes, such as mechanical work, friction, or heat transfer. For example, when a ball is held at a certain height, it has gravitational potential energy. When the ball is dropped, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This typically occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is chosen to be at a lower potential energy level than the object's actual position. In this case, the potential energy is negative because work would need to be done to move the object from its current position to the reference point.