Potential energy and conservation

In summary, a 10.0 kg block is released from point A in Figure P8.57 on a frictionless track, except for a 6.00 m portion BC. The block hits a spring with a force constant of 2250 N/m and compresses it 0.300 m from its equilibrium position before coming to rest momentarily. Using equations for potential and elastic energy, the coefficient of kinetic friction between surface BC and the block can be calculated. After correcting a typo in the equation, the correct value for μ is 0.345.
lo31415926535

Homework Statement

A 10.0 kg block is released from point A in Figure P8.57. The track is frictionless except for the portion BC, with a length of 6.00 m. The block travels down the track, hits a spring of force constant k = 2250 N/m, and compresses it 0.300 m from its equilibrium position before coming to rest momentarily. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between surface BC and the block.

image can be found here: http://www.webassign.net/sb5/p8-57.gif

Homework Equations

Ug=mgh
Uel=(1/2)kx^2
K=(1/2)mv^2
w=FΔx
Fk=μmg

The Attempt at a Solution

initial potential energy - work done by friction = final elastic energy
Ug - Work by friction = Uel
mgh - FΔx = (1/2)kx^2
mgh - μmgΔx = (1/2)kx^2
μ = [mgh - (1/2)kx^2]/(mgΔx)
plugging in the numbers…
μ = [(10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(3 m) - .5(2025 N/m)(.3 m)^2]/[(10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(6 m)]
and I got μ= 0.345, but this is incorrect
and I am not sure why.
Can someone please help point out my errors?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lo31415926535 said:
μ = [(10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(3 m) - .5(2025 N/m)(.3 m)^2]/[(10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(6 m)]
This might just be a typo, but you have a different value for k here than earlier.

Doc Al said:
This might just be a typo, but you have a different value for k here than earlier.

Oops that was the problem! I typed it in wrong when i was making my calculations.
Thanks so much

Related to Potential energy and conservation

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object's position or condition changes.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference point. This formula applies to gravitational potential energy, but there are different formulas for other types of potential energy, such as elastic potential energy.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and conservation?

Potential energy is closely related to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, but the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for calculating potential energy is below the object. In this case, the potential energy is considered negative because the object has less potential to do work.

5. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a ball sitting on top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a book on a shelf. Other types of potential energy include chemical potential energy, nuclear potential energy, and electric potential energy.