Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy Problems

In summary: Your use of the same equation transfers all energy, thus the incorrect solution.In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with potential energy and conservation of energy problems in AP Physics C: Mechanics. The problems involve a block sliding on a frictionless surface, compressing a spring, and jumping onto a fire net. The correct solutions for the problems were 8 ft, v sqrt(m/2k), and 7200 ft-lb, respectively. The equations used were Emech = K + U, U = 1/2k(x)^2, U = mgh, and K = 1/2m(v)^2. It is important to set up the energy equations correctly and consider the transfer of energy between
Matthew.C21
Hi everybody! So this is my first time using this forum. I'm currently taking AP Physics C: Mechanics in high school and I have some questions concerning Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Homework Statement

32. A 4.0-lb block slides along a horizontal frictionless surface at 8 ft/s. It is brought to rest by compressing a very long spring of spring constant (1/8) lb/ft. The maximum spring compressing is:
A. 4 ft
B. 8 ft (Correct Answer)
C. 16 ft
D. 2 ft
E. 45 ft

33. A block of mass m is initially moving to the right on a horizontal frictionless surface at a speed v. It then compresses a spring of spring constant k. At the instant when the kinetic energy of the block is equal to the potential energy of the spring, the spring is compressed a distance of:
A. v sqrt(m/2k) (Correct Answer)
B. (1/2)mv^2
C. (1/4)mv^2
D. mv^2/4k
E. (1/4)sqrt(mv/k)

34. A 200-lb man jumps out of a window into a fire net 30 ft below. The net stretches 6 ft before bringing the man to rest and tossing him back into the air. The maximum potential energy in (ft*lb) of the net is:
A. 7200 (Correct Answer)
B. 6000
C. 1800
D. 1200
E. 600

Homework Equations

Emech = K + U
U = 1/2k(x)^2
U = mgh
K = 1/2m(v)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

32. 1/2 (1/8) x^2 = 1/4 (4) 8^2 <<<< Doesn't work, don't know how I should be setting up the equation.

33. 1/2 kx^2 = 1/2 mv^2
kx^2 = mv^2
x^2 = mv^2/k
x = v sqrt(m/k) <<<< Why am I missing the 2k?

34. mgh = 1/2kx^2
200*32*3 = 1/2*k*6^2
192000 = 18k
k = 10,666.67
U = 1/2 (10,666.67) 6^2 <<<< WAYYYY off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What are you stuck on?

After looking over the problem, I realized that i forgot to divide the lb by gravity. That takes care of 32 and 34. For 33, I don't really understand why the answer is vsqrt(m/2k) instead of vsqrt(m/k)

Your energy equation is incorrect. If the initial velocity of the block is v, when the block hits the spring, it will lose kinetic energy which will be converted to potential energy. When the potential energy of the spring is equal to the kinetic energy of the block, let the velocity of the block be v1.

The potential energy gained by the spring is equal to the difference in kinetic energy of the block (initial-current). The current kinetic energy of the block is equal to the potential energy which gives you your answer. Try to set it up.

so Usp = Etotal - Ek?

The point to realize is that your use of the equation, "1/2 kx^2 = 1/2 mv^2" transfers all energy from the block, to the spring; but, the problem statement requests that you determine the position where Kblock = Uspring. Because Uspring started at zero, the point where the magnitudes are equivalent is 1/2Kblock initial, i.e. the block transfers half of its energy to the spring.

Related to Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy Problems

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy related to conservation of energy?

According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Therefore, the potential energy of an object can be converted into other forms of energy, but the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy. A ball sitting on top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, and a battery are all examples of objects with potential energy.

4. How can potential energy be calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. For chemical potential energy, the formula is PE = nRT, where n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

5. How is potential energy used in everyday life?

Potential energy is used in many everyday activities, such as riding a roller coaster, using a slingshot, or even turning on a light switch. It is also used in industries such as hydroelectric power, where the potential energy of water is converted into electrical energy. Additionally, potential energy is used in the storage and transportation of energy, such as in batteries and fuel tanks.