Potential energies and finding the distance

In summary: Did you try verifying it experimentally or by computer simulation? (I don't know how you calculated it, so I can't say for sure that it's right, but it looks plausible to me.) I'm curious about the answer myself.The Attempt at a Solutionx = (kx^2)/ ( 2*0.02221*mg) = 10.9mx should be equal to 23.11 cm...The puck only travels 10.9 m, not 23.11 cm. The equation for distance should be x = (kx^2)/(2*m*g*uk), where x is the total distance travelled, k is the spring constant, m is the mass
Seung Lee

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring with psring constant k = 15.19 N/m is compressed 23.11 cm fro mits equil. position.
A hockey puck with mass m = 170.0g is placed against the end of the spring. The friction coefficient is 0.02221.
How far does the hockey puck travel?

k = 15.19 N/m
x = 0.2311
uk = 0.02221
m = 0.17

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 = friction force potential

The Attempt at a Solution

x = (kx^2)/ ( 2*0.02221*mg) = 10.9m

x should be equal to 23.11 cm...

I really don't understand why I keep getting a huge number when it shold actually be 23.11 cm. Also, I do understand tat 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 but why is any of those = to frictional force potential?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like these problems, but they are often beyond my abilities. However, I'll try to help...

I believe that there are two phases. First, the spring decompresses, and its energy is partly used up to move the puck against friction. With the rest of energy that is left, the puck acquires a velocity v, and its kinetic energy is used up moving the puck away, at a constant deceleration, against the friction force...

Isn't that why the equation is 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 = frictional potential? I mean another problem is that the answer keeps being 10.96m instead of actualyl beeing a small number

Seung Lee said:
Isn't that why the equation is 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 = frictional potential?

The equation has no sense. You might have misread it. The second "equal" has to be "minus".

The initial elastic energy of the compressed spring is converted partly to the kinetic energy of the puck, and the other part is used as work against friction:

1/2 mv2=1/2 kx2-W(friction) where W(friction) = mguk and x=0.2311 cm is the compression of the spring.

ehild

yeah, but you still can't solve for the distance can you? i mean you need the distance in W(friction) and you also don't ahve the velocity in 1/2mv^2, which means you have two unknowns in one equation.

First find the kinetic energy the puck acquires until it leaves the spring. During that time is travels x1=0.2311 cm. When the spring gets released the puck gets detached from the spring, and moves further, loosing energy because of friction. Calculate the distance x2 traveled till the puck stops. The total distance is x=x1+x2

ehild said:
First find the kinetic energy the puck acquires until it leaves the spring. During that time is travels x1=0.2311 cm. When the spring gets released the puck gets detached from the spring, and moves further, loosing energy because of friction. Calculate the distance x2 traveled till the puck stops. The total distance is x=x1+x2

And don't forget, Seung, that there's energy loss to friction also during the expansion of the spring.

Seung Lee said:

The Attempt at a Solution

x = (kx^2)/ ( 2*0.02221*mg) = 10.9m

x should be equal to 23.11 cm...
Why do think that the total distance that the puck travels is 23.11 cm? Wasn't that the initial distance that the spring was compressed? I mean, it's possible that it could be true if the total energy lost to friction happens to be equal to the total energy initially stored in the spring. But the coefficient of friction looks to be too small for that to be true given that short distance (Compare the energy stored in the spring versus the energy lost to friction over that distance).

Your calculated result of around 11 m looks plausible to me.

Related to Potential energies and finding the distance

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the object above the ground. The formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height in meters.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and distance?

Potential energy and distance are directly proportional. As the distance between two objects increases, the potential energy between them also increases. This is because the force of gravity between the objects decreases with distance, allowing the objects to have a greater potential to do work.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This usually occurs when an object is below ground level or in a lower energy state than its normal resting position. Negative potential energy means that work would need to be done on the object to bring it to its normal position or ground level.

5. How is the distance between two objects related to their potential energy?

The distance between two objects is directly related to their potential energy. As the distance between the objects increases, their potential energy also increases. This is because the gravitational force between them decreases, allowing the objects to have a greater potential to do work or move closer together.