Potential due to Uniform Charge Distribution (3d)

In summary: The integral only depends on the limits of the box. In summary, the integral to solve for V(\vec{r}) is given as ## V(\vec{r})= \int \frac{k \rho}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}} \, d^3 r' ## and the correct answer is (e). The square root expression is not a constant and can only be integrated over the limits of the box.
lorx99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-6_20-34-8.png

Homework Equations

dV= integral(kdQ/dR)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm familiar with these type of problems but in 2D (like a line of uniform charge).
When the y,z component is added, I'm kinda lost.

i know dQ = p*dV= p*dx*dy*dz. (atleast i think it is).
also the dR = sqrt(x^2 + (y'-y)^2+z^2) since y is the only distance changing.
Now, i get confused as to how to put together the integral. Can someone guide me and help me out?

I am studying for an exam tomorrow :C.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-6_20-34-8.png
    upload_2018-10-6_20-34-8.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 656
Physics news on Phys.org
## V(\vec{r})=\int \frac{k \rho(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}\, d^3 r' ##. Which, if any, of the expressions fit this description? ## \\ ## A hint is they have reversed primes and unprimes, but that is perfectly ok to do. (Take the expression I just gave you and reverse the primes and unprimes). ## \\ ## Also, ## |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'| =\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}##. ## \\ ## Also ## \rho(\vec{r}')=\rho ##. ## \\ ## This one is pretty obvious, but I don't know that I have a simple way to teach you about the limits on triple integrals inside of 10 minutes. Which one do you think might be correct?

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
## V(\vec{r})=\int \frac{k \rho(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}\, d^3 r' ##. Which, if any, of the expressions fit this description? ## \\ ## A hint is they have reversed primes and unprimes, but that is perfectly ok to do. (Take the expression I just gave you and reverse the primes and unprimes). ## \\ ## Also, ## |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'| =\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}##. ## \\ ## Also ## \rho(\vec{r}')=\rho ##.

How do i deal with the d^3(r)? Also, is the absolute(r-r') just the sqrt(x^2+(y'-y)^2+z^2)?

lorx99 said:
How do i deal with the d^3(r)? Also, is the absolute(r-r') just the sqrt(x^2+(y'-y)^2+z^2)?
## d^3 r=dx \, dy \, dz ##. It means the same thing. And yes, see my updated post 2. I wrote out ## |r-r' | ## for you. ## \\ ## Let ## \vec{r}=(0,y,0) ##, i.e. ## x=0 ## and ## z=0 ##, and then reverse the primes and unprimes. ## \\ ## I think you might have a pretty good idea which one is the correct answer. I can verify your answer, but as a homework helper, I am not allowed to give you the answer.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
## d^3 r=dx \, dy \, dz ##. It means the same thing. And yes, see my updated post 2. I wrote out ## |r-r' | ## for you. ## \\ ## Let ## \vec{r}=(0,y,0) ##, i.e. ## x=0 ## and ## z=0 ##, and then reverse the primes and unprimes. ## \\ ## I think you might have a pretty good idea which one is the correct answer. I can verify your answer, but as a homework helper, I am not allowed to give you the answer.

Ehh. It's not really homework. I'm doing a bunch of practice exams to prepare my exam tomorrow.

So the answer seems to be e) but is the kp/sqrt() just a constant then? and can be taken out of the integrals? The integral only depends on the limits of the box right?

lorx99 said:
Ehh. It's not really homework. I'm doing a bunch of practice exams to prepare my exam tomorrow.

So the answer seems to be e) but is the kp/sqrt() just a constant then? and can be taken out of the integrals? The integral only depends on the limits of the box right?
The position of the square root on the far right in (e) means that ## x, y, ## and ## z ## get integrated over ## x, y, ## and ## z ##. And no, the square root expression is not a constant. ## \\ ## And the answer is indeed (e). ## \\ ## ## k \rho ## is a constant, so it can go anywhere.

Likes lorx99

Related to Potential due to Uniform Charge Distribution (3d)

1. What is the equation for the potential due to a uniform charge distribution in 3D?

The equation for the potential due to a uniform charge distribution in 3D is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the distribution, and r is the distance from the point to the center of the distribution.

2. How is the potential due to a uniform charge distribution calculated at a specific point?

To calculate the potential at a specific point, you can use the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the distribution, and r is the distance from the point to the center of the distribution. Substitute the values into the equation and solve for the potential.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential due to a uniform charge distribution?

The unit of measurement for potential due to a uniform charge distribution is volts (V).

4. How does the potential due to a uniform charge distribution change with distance?

The potential due to a uniform charge distribution follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the center of the distribution increases, the potential decreases.

5. Can the potential due to a uniform charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the potential due to a uniform charge distribution can be negative. The sign of the potential depends on the sign of the charge of the distribution and the reference point chosen. If the reference point is chosen as the center of the distribution, the potential at points with negative charges will be negative, and the potential at points with positive charges will be positive.