Potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the variable ##d## and possible issues with the integration of ##V(B)## and ##V(A)##. The correct result for ##V(B)## is given as $$V(B)=\alpha k\int_0^L\frac{x}{\sqrt{b^2+\left(x-\frac{L}{2}\right)^2}}dx+C=\frac{\alpha kL}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}+L}{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}-L}\right)+C$$ and it is noted that there was a missing factor of ##L## in the previous calculation
archaic
Homework Statement
A rod of length ##L## lies on the x-axis such that its left tip is at the origin. It's charged and has a nonuniform charge density ##\lambda=\alpha x##, where ##\alpha>0##.
What is the potential at a point ##B## on its bisector? (Use the following as necessary: α, k, L, b, and d.)
Relevant Equations
$$dV=k\frac{dq}{r}$$
I'm not sure I understand why I need to use ##d##.. Maybe they want me to have the potential be zero at ##A##?
Screenshot_2020-09-15_08-49-38.png

In any case, I have found$$V(B)=\alpha k\int_0^L\frac{x}{\sqrt{b^2+\left(x-\frac{L}{2}\right)^2}}dx+C=\frac{\alpha kL}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}+L}{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}-L}\right)+C$$and$$V(A)=\alpha k\int_0^L\frac{x}{d+x}dx+C=\alpha k\left(L+d\ln\left(\frac{d}{L+d}\right)\right)+C$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
I'm not sure I understand why I need to use ##d##..
In any case, I have found$$V(B)=\alpha k\int_0^L\frac{x}{\sqrt{b^2+\left(x-\frac{L}{2}\right)^2}}dx+C=\frac{\alpha k}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}+L}{\sqrt{L^2+4b^2}-L}\right)+C$$
It says to use the variables as necessary. If it is not necessary don’t use it.

I get a different result for the integration. Yours seems to be dimensionally wrong.
I also tried checking yours by fixing the total charge at Q and letting L tend to zero. I got that it tends to infinity as ##\frac {kQ}{Lb}## instead of tending to ##\frac {kQ}{b}##.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
It says to use the variables as necessary. If it is not necessary don’t use it.

I get a different result for the integration. Yours seems to be dimensionally wrong.
I also tried checking yours by fixing the total charge at Q and letting L tend to zero. I got that it tends to infinity as ##\frac {kQ}{Lb}## instead tending to ##\frac {kQ}{b}##.
I forgot a factor of ##L##.. It's fixed now. Thank you!
You probably have found ##\alpha kL\,\mathrm{arsinh}(\frac{L}{2b})##, they're similar.
That's not the desired result, though..

Related to Potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density

1. What is the formula for calculating the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density?

The formula for calculating the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density is V = k * λ * ln(b/a), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge density, b is the distance from the end of the rod, and a is the distance from the center of the rod.

2. How does the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density vary along its length?

The potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density varies along its length because the charge density is not constant. As the distance from the center of the rod changes, the potential also changes according to the formula V = k * λ * ln(b/a).

3. Can the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density be negative?

Yes, the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density can be negative. This can occur if the charge density is negative or if the distance from the center of the rod is larger than the distance from the end of the rod.

4. How does the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density compare to that of a rod with a uniform charge density?

The potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density is generally larger than that of a rod with a uniform charge density. This is because the nonuniform charge distribution leads to a larger variation in potential along the length of the rod.

5. How can the potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density be visualized?

The potential due to a rod with a nonuniform charge density can be visualized by plotting a graph of potential versus distance from the center of the rod. This will show the variation in potential along the length of the rod. Alternatively, the electric field lines can also be plotted to visualize the distribution of charge and potential around the rod.