Potential double planet system

In summary, the conversation discusses a fictional planetary system with an earth-sized and a mars-sized planet. The system is designed to have certain characteristics, such as the planets being tidally locked and close enough to affect each other's ecosystems. The conversation also delves into the specifics of the planets' masses, sizes, rotation and orbital periods, and temperatures. The experts provide information on the safe distance between the planets and the possibility of a certain area of the planet preserving a crater for billions of years.
Helland
Hello! I was wondering if there are anyone here who could help me with a little physics and logic pertaining to the behavior of planets.

I've been working on a science fiction story set in a fictional planetary system containing an earth-sized planet and a mars-sized planet. It's important to me that this system makes somewhat sense. I know there are way too many factors to account for to get everything perfectly right, but I don't want to mess up on the basics :smile:

What's important to the story is the following:

1 - The planets are tidally locked, so that the mars-sized planet can always be seen in the sky over one side of the earth-sized planet.
2 - The planets are so close to each other that the illumination of the mars-sized planet lights up the night sky enough to affect the eco-system of the earth-sized planet (for example, the light being reflected creates a different way to camouflage).
3 - They're not close enough to potentially crash into each other obviously :wink:
4 - The rotational period is as short as possible (meaning, not so long that the temperature change between night and day makes it unlivable, but not so short that it affects the relations between the two planets either).

The numbers and such that I’ve come up with so far, based on comparisons with what I’ve read about the relations of Earth, the moon, Mars, Pluto and Charon:

The Larger Planet:
Mass: 5.3211877 * 10^24 kg
Equatorial Radius: 6,218.465 km2
Surface Area: 485,036,000 km2
Surface Gravity (eq.): 9.182 g
Rotation Period: 32h 4m 4.9s (how long I’d like it to be, but I have no clue)
Orbital Period: 323.337245 days
Axial Tilt: 12.92934 °
Mean Surface Temperature: 17 °C
Min. Surface Temperature: -95 °C
Max. Surface Temperature: 63.5 °C
One year is equal to: 118.3% of an Earth year

The Smaller Planet:
Mass: 7.02396788 * 10^23 kg
Mass compared to Planet: 13.2 %
Equatorial Radius: 4088,845 km2

Distance between them: 105,546 km (based on the distance between Charon & Pluto)

So I guess the main thing is; how close can the two planets be to each other and how fast can they spin around each other without catastrophic repercussions? :smile:

And one last thing - this one might be better suited for a different forum, so just ignore it if it's too of topic: Is it possible for a certain area of the planet to have low enough tectonic plate movement to preserve a crater proportionally equal to Mimas' Herschel crater for billions of years? Even if the planet is earth-sized with a magnetic field, atmosphere and everything to a certain approximation of what Earth has?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
So I guess the main thing is; how close can the two planets be to each other and how fast can they spin around each other without catastrophic repercussions?
They should be safely outside the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit" .
Then, they're almost certainly doubly tidally locked, so the rotation period of the larger planet equals the orbital period of the smaller planet, somewhere around 100 h, I think.
Is it possible for a certain area of the planet to have low enough tectonic plate movement to preserve a crater proportionally equal to Mimas' Herschel crater for billions of years?
After billions of years, erosion alone would have erased the crater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ich said:
They should be safely outside the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit" .
Then, they're almost certainly doubly tidally locked, so the rotation period of the larger planet equals the orbital period of the smaller planet, somewhere around 100 h, I think.

Ahh, thanks! That's exactly what i was looking for. I thought i had heard of a limit like that on a documentary years ago, i tried all kinds of google searches without finding it :smile:

100 h sounds reasonable, i guess it was a bit wishful thinking of me to believe the smaller planet could orbit in only 32 h. Sorry for being kinda clueless here, least i could have done was look up 'orbital period'...:frown:

Ich said:
After billions of years, erosion alone would have erased the crater.

Yeah, i thought i probably had to resort to some ficticious explanation for that :redface:

anyway, thanks a lot! I got the most importaint thing i was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
100 h sounds reasonable, i guess it was a bit wishful thinking of me to believe the smaller planet could orbit in only 32 h.
No, that's possible, in a distance of ~55000 km. There are a number of orbital period calculators out there, try them. The ~100 were a guess based on your given distance (105000 km).
Is it possible for a certain area of the planet to have low enough tectonic plate movement to preserve a crater proportionally equal to Mimas' Herschel crater for billions of years?
Another idea: if the crater wall were much higher than the atmospere (say, 30 km), it could last a bit longer. I don't know, however, if Earth could support such a structure. I doubt it.

Hello there! I find your potential double planet system fascinating and I am happy to provide some insights and answers to your questions.

Firstly, let's address the main question - how close can the two planets be to each other and how fast can they spin around each other without catastrophic repercussions? The answer to this depends on the mass and distance of the two planets, as well as their individual rotation speeds. In general, it is possible for two planets to be in close proximity to each other without crashing, as long as they are in a stable orbit around each other. However, this distance is highly dependent on the individual characteristics of the planets and cannot be determined without further calculation.

In terms of rotational period, it is possible for two planets to have a short enough rotation period to maintain stable orbits, but this would also depend on their individual masses and distances from each other. It is important to note that the closer the two planets are, the more likely they are to experience tidal forces, which could affect their rotation speeds.

Moving on to the effects of the smaller planet's illumination on the larger planet's ecosystem, this is definitely a possibility. The amount of light reflected from the smaller planet would depend on its albedo (reflectivity) and the distance between the two planets. This could lead to changes in the larger planet's ecosystem, such as different camouflage strategies for organisms.

Regarding the preservation of a large crater on the larger planet, it is certainly possible for a certain area to have low tectonic plate movement and preserve a crater for billions of years. However, this would also depend on the geological and environmental conditions of the planet. For example, if the planet has a thick atmosphere and strong magnetic field, it could protect the surface from cosmic impacts and erosion, allowing for the preservation of the crater.

In summary, your potential double planet system is definitely possible and there are many factors that would need to be considered in order to determine the exact characteristics and behaviors of the planets. It is a fascinating concept and I am excited to see how you incorporate it into your science fiction story. Keep exploring and asking questions, and I wish you the best of luck in your writing!

What is a potential double planet system?

A potential double planet system refers to two celestial bodies orbiting each other in a manner where their combined center of mass is located outside of either body. This means that the two objects have similar sizes and gravitational pull, making them both equally important in their gravitational relationship.

How common are potential double planet systems?

It is estimated that potential double planet systems are not very common in our solar system, with only two known examples - Earth and the Moon, and Pluto and its largest moon Charon. However, they may be more common in other solar systems, as they are difficult to detect from a distance.

What is the difference between a double planet system and a binary star system?

A double planet system involves two celestial bodies of similar size orbiting each other, while a binary star system involves two stars orbiting each other. Both systems have a combined center of mass located outside of either body, but in a double planet system, the two objects are usually of the same type (e.g. two planets), while in a binary star system, the two objects are usually different types (e.g. a star and a planet).

Can a potential double planet system support life?

It is possible for a potential double planet system to support life, as long as the conditions are favorable for life to exist on at least one of the two bodies. This could include factors such as a suitable atmosphere, liquid water, and a source of energy. However, such systems may also face unique challenges, such as varying gravitational forces and potential collisions between the two bodies.

Do potential double planet systems have a stable orbit?

Yes, potential double planet systems can have a stable orbit, just like any other planetary system. However, the stability of their orbit depends on various factors such as the size and distance of the two objects, as well as the gravitational influence of any other nearby objects. In some cases, the orbit may eventually become unstable and result in a collision between the two bodies.