Potential Divider: Understanding Its Purpose

A potential divider is a tool used to vary voltage and produce a specific voltage that may not be achievable with the current supply. It can also be used to create a voltage that changes with temperature or light intensity, and can be modified to act as a potentiometer.
Air
On reviewing the chapter on resistivity, I have come across a principle involving potential dividers. Can someone explain the purpose of this tool?

I think it is to vary the voltage so at one terminal the voltage is max and the other end it is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to my notes, you use a potential divider to produce a pd that you want but might not be able to get. (i.e. where the supply voltage is greater than what is actually needed by a load)

You can also use it to have a pd which follows temperature or Light intensity. Also, it can be modified to become a potentiometer.

Air said:
On reviewing the chapter on resistivity, I have come across a principle involving potential dividers. Can someone explain the purpose of this tool?

I think it is to vary the voltage so at one terminal the voltage is max and the other end it is zero.

Voltage dividers are typically used to output a specific voltage (whatever is needed in the circuit) that is somewhere between the supply voltage and close to zero.

CS

Related to Potential Divider: Understanding Its Purpose

What is a potential divider?

A potential divider, also known as a voltage divider, is a basic electronic circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts. It is made up of two or more resistors connected in series.

What is the purpose of a potential divider?

The purpose of a potential divider is to produce a specific output voltage that is a fraction of the input voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate voltage levels, reduce power consumption, and control signal strength.

How does a potential divider work?

A potential divider works by dividing the input voltage between the resistors based on their individual resistance values. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the resistances in the circuit. The higher the resistance of a resistor, the more voltage it will drop.

What are the applications of a potential divider?

Potential dividers are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including voltage regulators, sensors, and signal amplifiers. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits to bias transistors and provide reference voltages for analog-to-digital converters.

What factors affect the output voltage of a potential divider?

The output voltage of a potential divider is affected by the resistance values of the resistors, the input voltage, and the load connected to the output. Changes in any of these factors can alter the output voltage of the circuit.