Potential Divider Problem: Calculating Vout and Thevenin Source Impedance

In summary, the person is asking for help with a potentiometer question and has provided an image with two potential divider setups. They have specific questions about each setup and are seeking assistance in understanding how to calculate the output voltage and Thevenin source impedance. They have been struggling with the problem all day and are looking for clarification and confirmation on their proposed solution.
boileroo
potentiometer question

hey there

i hate coming online to ask for help but i am well and truly stuck!

attached is an image containing 2 potential divider setups.
i have a few questions about them, and any help would be appreciated!

a) for the first setup, A, how could the 10k pot be split into 2 resistors to give a Vout of 3v? i am confused by the +-15v source. can i treat this as if the +15v is 30v and the -15 is 0v? making the 2 resistors 9k and 1k? if not, how else is it done; i can find absolutely no examples of potential diviers which aren't grounded?

b) how do i calculate the thevenin source impedance of the potentiometer set to give 3v? I am familliar with thevenin's theorem but don't fully understand the question. as far as i understand, thevenins thereom is used to reduc circuits down to just a voltage source, a resistor and a load; here I'm unsure how this would be done.

c)finally, how do i calculate Vout for the setup B when the effective impedance of the multi meter measuring Vout is reduced to 3.3K? my initial thought was a simple voltage division equation but this came unstuck when i realized that R1 = 0, therefore that doesn't work. I am out of ideas after that!

like i said, i'd really really appreciate some help on this!

many thanks

Attachments

• potential dividers.jpg
    potential dividers.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i've spent all day thinking about the above problems to no avail. can no one help me?

thank you

i think i might be on to something, maybe someone can confirm if this is right, and if it is eplaiin why.

i think it goes +15v into R1 = 5k into r2 = 7.5 k and -15V out. then the output measuered between R1 and R2 = 3v. I've been messing around on a simulator and it works, but i don't know why!

anyone?

i9 realize I've been being a fool.
think the output voltage can vary anywhere between -15V and +15V; a range of 30V.
An output of +3V is therefore 18V above the lower -15 level and 12V below the +15 level. In other words, the potential divider must divide the 30V total in the ratio 12/18. The resistance ratio must be the same; 4 ohm and 6 ohm

part a) done!

some help on b and c would be great still though

Last edited:

Related to Potential Divider Problem: Calculating Vout and Thevenin Source Impedance

What is a potential divider problem?

A potential divider problem is a common circuit analysis problem in which a circuit is divided into two or more parts, with some components connected in series or parallel. The goal is to determine the voltage, current, or resistance of a specific part of the circuit.

How do you calculate the output voltage in a potential divider circuit?

The output voltage in a potential divider circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the components in the circuit.

What is the purpose of a potential divider circuit?

A potential divider circuit is commonly used to reduce the voltage of a power supply to a specific value, such as for powering electronic components. It can also be used to control the amount of voltage or current in a circuit.

What happens to the output voltage if one of the resistors in the potential divider circuit is changed?

If one of the resistors in a potential divider circuit is changed, the output voltage will also change. This is because the output voltage is directly proportional to the ratio of the two resistors. If one resistor is increased, the output voltage will increase, and if one resistor is decreased, the output voltage will decrease.

What are some real-life applications of potential divider circuits?

Potential divider circuits have various applications in everyday life, such as in voltage regulators for electronic devices, volume control in audio systems, and light intensity control in dimmer switches. They are also used in sensors and transducers to convert physical quantities, such as temperature or pressure, into electrical signals.