Potential Divider: Explaining How Energy is Lost & Given to Components

In summary: P_r1 + P_r2 = P_inIf you substitute in the two equations above, you get...V_out1 * I + V_out2 * I = V_in * IIf you divide both sides by I, you get...V_out1 + V_out2 = V_inSo, the potential divider works because the voltage drops across the two resistors add up to the voltage supplied by the battery.In summary, a potential divider is a common circuit element in which the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the voltage drop across the components in the branch. This is because the voltage drops across the two resistors add up to the voltage supplied by the battery, according to the law of conservation
adjacent
Gold Member
This is how my teacher drew the potential divider.
attachment.php?attachmentid=66698&stc=1&d=1392630405.png

And told that the energy lost by the resistor is equal to the energy given to the components on the branch.

Or the voltage of the resistor is equal to the voltage given to the components in the branch.

How does the energy of the resistor go to the components??I thought energy is lost as heat.

Attachments

• PD.png
    PD.png
    768 bytes · Views: 583
Physics news on Phys.org
hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
How does the energy of the resistor go to the components??I thought energy is lost as heat.

yes :smile:

i suspect your teacher was talking about the potential energy (ie energy per charge) …

voltage drop is the same as loss in potential energy

so let's rewrite …
… my teacher … told that the energy lost by the resistor is equal to the energy given to the components on the branch.

Or the voltage of the resistor is equal to the voltage given to the components in the branch.

as:
the potential energy lost (the voltage drop) across the resistor is equal to the potential energy lost across the components on the branch.

Or the voltage drop across the resistor is equal to the voltage drop across the components in the branch. :wink:

(i don't like this "lost" versus "given" terminology …

potential energy doesn't work like that :redface:)

Oh,I used my own terms.Thanks for the correction.
But I still don't know why voltage drop across the resistor is equal to the voltage drop across the components in the branch.
How is the energy transferred?Resistors normally waste it as heat.Am I wrong?

hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
But I still don't know why voltage drop across the resistor is equal to the voltage drop across the components in the branch.
How is the energy transferred?Resistors normally waste it as heat.Am I wrong?

forget energy!

this has (almost) nothing to do with energy

this is about energy per charge

the charge going through the resistor each second (ie the amps) is much less than the charge going through the components

so the energy going through the resistor each second is much less than the energy going through the componentsit is only the energy per charge that is the same

(i suspect you are missing the point that a general principle of voltage, or electric potential, is that it is always the same between any two points, in this case through the resistor and through the components …

ie, the same charge would do the same work going along either route)

btw, energy ~ V2/R, so it pays (literally!) to have the resistor R as large as possible, to keep the energy loss very small

tiny-tim.I know that.Sorry I wrote energy.
Why do we use a resistor there?To divide the voltages between two branches.So the voltage drop of the resistor is equal to the voltage drop of the components in the branch.

I understand this,but how?My main concern is resistors waste energy.
(Forgive me.Try to think in my perspective about resistors wasting "energy")

aaaaa.I have made myself more confused. :confused: :confused: :confused:

adjacent said:
Why do we use a resistor there?To divide the voltages between two branches.So the voltage drop of the resistor is equal to the voltage drop of the components in the branch.

yes, they do waste energy, you can't avoid it

if you have a 240 V source, and your components will only take 120 V, you can use two equal resistors R in series, with the components parallel to resistor (and nothing parallel to the other resistor) …

then all the current will go through the second resistor and waste a lot of energy if R is large, but if R is small too much current will go through the first resistor and waste a lot of energy, so you can't win :redface:

i'm not familiar with circuit design …

would anyone who is like to step in here and say something practical? :smile:

adjacent said:
tiny-tim.I know that.Sorry I wrote energy.

aaaaa.I have made myself more confused. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The word 'waste' is a bit of a value judgement. Resistors transfer electrical power to Heat. That may be desired or not, according to the circumstances.

The function of a resistor in a circuit is usually to cause a current of a specific value to flow or, in association with some other component (resistor, Capacitor, Transistor, Inductor), to produce a desired voltage somewhere. Resistors are the foot soldiers of circuit design; well behaved and robust.
Your example of a Potential Divider is a very common circuit element.
This link more or less says all you need to know about the how it works. Choosing what actual values to use to do a particular job (as well as their relative values) needs a bit of care or you can (literally) "waste" some power, when they're lower valued than necessary or don't do their job because they cannot supply enough current to maintain the wanted voltage.

The problem when you are taught this stuff for the first time, you tend not to see any reason for it. IF it were possible to deliver electronics along with a project, then you would want to achieve things and those boring laws and formulae would actually appear to be much more worth while because they would actually help you. There's a 'critical mass' of experience needed before Electronics starts to have enough context for beginners. Jusgt stick with it and you will find it comes, eventually.

Last edited:
Perhaps it is easier if you consider the current flowing as well... Let's say the current flowing is I. Then...

The power delivered by the battery is:

P_in = V_in * I

The power dissipated/wasted in each resistor is:

P_r1 = V_out1 * I
P_r2 = V_out2 * I

The law of conservation of energy means that the power dissipated in the resistors must equal that delivered by the battery. I think this is what you mean by...

... the energy lost by the resistor is equal to the energy given to the components on the branch.

So...

P_in = P_r1 + P_r2

Substituting..

V_in * I = (V_out1 * I) + (V_out2 * I)

I cancels so...

V_in = V_out1 + V_out2

I think this is what you mean by...

the voltage of the resistor is equal to the voltage given to the components in the branch.

Your last question is..

It is lost as heat.

In this circuit the power dissipated in the resistors is equal to that delivered by the battery. This is because there is nothing connected to V_out1 or 2.

Attachments

• Divider.png
    Divider.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 482

Related to Potential Divider: Explaining How Energy is Lost & Given to Components

1. What is a potential divider?

A potential divider is an electrical circuit that is used to divide a voltage into smaller parts. It is made up of resistors, which are electronic components that restrict the flow of current in a circuit. By using different values of resistors, the potential divider can divide the incoming voltage into specific proportions.

2. How does a potential divider work?

A potential divider works by using two or more resistors in series. The input voltage is applied across the two resistors, and the output voltage is taken from the junction between the resistors. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the two resistors, with the larger resistor producing a larger output voltage.

3. Why is energy lost in a potential divider?

Energy is lost in a potential divider due to the presence of resistors. As current flows through a resistor, some of the energy is converted into heat, which is dissipated into the surroundings. This results in a decrease in the overall energy of the circuit and a loss of voltage across the resistor.

4. How is energy given to components in a potential divider?

Energy is given to components in a potential divider through the flow of current. As the voltage is divided across the resistors, the current passing through each resistor is determined by the resistance value. This current then provides energy to the components connected in the circuit.

5. What are the practical applications of a potential divider?

A potential divider has many practical applications in electronic circuits. It is commonly used in voltage regulators, sensors, and in audio circuits to control volume. It is also used in electronic devices to provide a stable voltage supply to sensitive components. Additionally, potential dividers are used in analog-to-digital converters to convert analog signals into digital signals.