Potential Difference Question

In summary: Thank you.In summary, to determine the potential difference VB - VA, you will need to use the entire distance from corner to corner as your radius for both point charges of 50 nC. This will give you the correct answer for the potential difference.
ATeam232

Homework Statement

Point charges of equal magnitudes (50 nC) and opposite signs are placed on diagonally opposite corners of a 60 cm 90 cm rectangle. Point A is the unoccupied corner nearest the positive charge, and point B is the other unoccupied corner. Determine the potential difference VB - VA.

Homework Equations

v=Kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

2 * SQRRT( (kq/r1)^2+(kq/r2)^2) yielded the wrong answer...however I am not quite sure what to use as my radii. Do I use the distance from the corners to the center? Or do I use the entire distance from corner to corner? I am fairly certain that my equation is correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to determine the potential difference VB - VA, you will need to use the entire distance from corner to corner as your radius. This is because the potential at a point due to a point charge is dependent on the distance between the two points. In this case, the potential at point B will be affected by both point charges, and the potential at point A will only be affected by one.

Your equation is correct, but you will need to use the entire distance as your radius for both point charges. This will give you the correct answer for the potential difference. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I would suggest using the entire distance from corner to corner as the radius in your equation. This is because the potential difference between two points is dependent on the distance between those two points, not just the distance to the center. Additionally, since the problem specifies that the charges are placed on diagonally opposite corners, it would make sense to use the diagonal distance as the radius. However, if you are getting the wrong answer, it is possible that there may be an error in your calculation or in the given values. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and also considering the direction of the potential difference (i.e. whether it is positive or negative) in relation to the placement of the charges.

Related to Potential Difference Question

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge by the amount of charge moved. This is represented by the equation: V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference in volts, W is the work done in joules, and Q is the charge in coulombs.

3. What is the relationship between potential difference and electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in electric current, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = I*R, where V is potential difference, I is electric current, and R is resistance.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric charges?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electric charges through a circuit. A higher potential difference means there is more energy available to move the charges, resulting in a higher electric current. In contrast, a lower potential difference will result in a lower electric current.

5. What factors affect potential difference?

Potential difference is affected by several factors, including the type of material the charges are moving through, the distance between the two points, and the presence of any external forces, such as magnets or other electric fields. It is also affected by the amount of electric charge and the resistance of the material.